PDA

View Full Version : Are You Running Ozone?

Sindjin
01/24/2006, 10:05 AM
I have been reading the "Thumbs up for Ozone" thread. There is some great info in there on running ozone! I was curious as to how many here on RC are running ozone in their SPS tanks.

Thanks!

Wiskey
01/24/2006, 10:23 AM
No, but I am running a 40W emperor aquatics UV. Ozone kindof scares me.

Whiskey

Sindjin
01/24/2006, 10:36 AM
Why the fear? I dont know a lot about it thats why Im asking.

druluv
01/24/2006, 10:47 AM
I have been running o3 for over two weeks now. My water now is clearer and cleaner.

64Ivy
01/24/2006, 10:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6574164#post6574164 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Sindjin
Why the fear? I dont know a lot about it thats why Im asking.

Pure ozone is a poisonous gas. Overdosing it can destroy most of the life in your tank. Really overdosing it can destroy most of the life in your tank room! Fortunately, thanks to controllers AND READING THE DIRECTIONS WHEN SETTING EVERYTHING UP, overdosing these days is near impossible so, ime, the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

Sindjin
01/24/2006, 10:52 AM
Oh great... I can read the headlines now...

"A Tampa man accidentally killed himself and his family while attempting to dose his 120 gallon Reef Tank with ozone... Full story at 11."

Sparkss
01/24/2006, 11:08 AM
It takes alot more than what we typically dose our reef tanks with to cause human death, although I guess buildup over a long enough period in a closed space (no open windows or doors, etc), could be dangerous.. but I believe I read somewhere that it takes a significant amount more than our ozone generators output (sorry, don't remember any details or numbers).

I agree with 64ivy... reading the directions (and following them) can make using ozone as safe as anything else we using in our tanks.

calvin415
01/24/2006, 11:28 AM
Ozone for me... I inject it into my EuroReef and don't run any carbon. ORP controller is set to 375 and the tank looks great!

Per Robert Fenner:

"Ozone Dangers: Numerous authors cite the need for carbon filtration, venting to prevent ozone poisoning of livestock, and even hobbyists (!). These fears are largely unfounded. Though I would not directly introduce ozone into a system, the little that intended units produce is dissipated quickly when utilized in a skimmer. The worst that does occur with small ozone generators is increased corrosion of "rubber" materials in your system; well worth the many benefits. You, your fishes and house will not burn up or down, I promise."

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/marphysf.htm

Vampire2
01/24/2006, 12:48 PM
What is the different between UV and Ozoner? I just bought a new Ozoner but still wait for the T , gas check valve and silicon tube to start running this through my skimmer.

calvin415
01/24/2006, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6575204#post6575204 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vampire2
What is the different between UV and Ozoner? I just bought a new Ozoner but still wait for the T , gas check valve and silicon tube to start running this through my skimmer.

Click on the link above...

Ti
01/24/2006, 02:58 PM
so If I run ozone, will it do the all the jobs of carbon?