PDA

View Full Version : any suggestion on what to do

briantson
01/24/2006, 11:31 AM
I have a 200gal reef tank that has been around for about 6 months now. My tank is stocked with some sps, clams, anemone, frogspawn, snails, and fish.
Fish list includes: yellow tang, coral beauty.
Two months after my tank started, I introduced a powder blue tang into the tank. within two days, it developed ich. I remove it and place it in the qt for 4 weeks with hyposalinity treatment.
The ich is no where to be found on it after 6 weeks. I then reintroduce it back into my display tank. And again, within a couple of days, it got ich again. Remove it and quarantine it again, but it died in the qt after 2 days.

Two months after the passing of my beloved pbt, I bought a new powder blue tang & a purple tang and introduce it into the display tank after 3 weeks of quarantine.
Low and behold, within a couple of days, the pbt and the purple tang both got ich. I am tempting to treat my display tank with hyposalinity, but I know that would kill my corals, liverock, and everything else that are fragile.
I can't move everything out to my qt because it is only 30 gallons.
The dwarf angel (coral beauty) and the yellow tang seemed to have some sort of immunity to ich.
Can anyone have any suggestions as to how to treat my display tank to rid of these ich?

Thank you.:mad:

TerryB
01/24/2006, 02:09 PM
I think you already have a good idea of what is going on. You have ich in your reef tank and the established fish have some limited immunity. Place a fish into that tank that doesn't share that immunity and it gets ich.

You have to remove ALL the fish from the display tank for a minimum of 30 days to rid your reef of ich. Most people leave the tank without fish for 6 weeks. The inverts will be fine in the reef.

Treat ALL the fish with hypo and then retrun them to the display after 6 weeks. Then quaratnine all new fish to prevent adding ich into your display tank again.

Terry B

briantson
01/24/2006, 03:04 PM
Terry,

If I were to quarantine all my fish, what about snails? do I need to remove them too?
Do I continue to feed my coral as I normally would?
Do I need to feed my tank so that the bacteria has something to feed on?

Thanks

TerryB
01/24/2006, 10:45 PM
The inverts in your reef do not need treated. Just remove ALL of the fish and treat ALL of them. Your biofilter in the reef should be fine, but you should continue to feed the corals on occasion.

Terry B