PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Garlic?

Instant Tang
01/24/2006, 12:27 PM
I've heard from others on here and elsewhere that feeding garlic supplements can be good for fish. I'm wondering if anyone ever feeds fresh garlic, finely chopped or shaved, from your local produce stand, to their fish? Seems it would be better than any processed garlic product...

Konadog
01/24/2006, 09:33 PM
From what I have read, it's not the garlic itself, but the oils in the garlic that seem to help, and even that's another debate.

I'd save the hole garlic for my pasta. :)

inlandreef
01/27/2006, 10:57 AM
My reef club has made fish food. We used fresh garlic in the fish food. I have heard of people using crush cloves added to there live brine shrimp or frozen foods.

durango_doug
01/30/2006, 12:16 PM
i push a clove through a press and feed it to my tank every once in a while just before i feed. my sick fish has been looking better since i started doing this.

JRFowler
02/03/2006, 03:27 AM
I use garlic with my brine every other time I feed the fish, its suppose to increase their appetite and help with disease.. (because they eat more)

cgk29
02/07/2006, 01:04 PM
When I am cooking and chopping up garlic for me I always mince some and throw it in the tank. The Tang and blenny love it. I think the Clowns could care less.

kevin2000
02/07/2006, 09:26 PM
I suspect that soaking your food in liquid garlic is easier and might provide more the beneficial oil than simply chopping up fresh garlic ... you should be able to pick up a bottle of liquid garlic from a nutrition center.