PDA

View Full Version : Need help setting up new S.H. Tank

Tbohinc
01/24/2006, 05:51 PM
Is there a a good place to get info on setting up a seahorse tank I have a 240 gal Reef and wanted to tie a 30 -55 gal tank in to the system for seahorses any help would be great thanks

Tom

nickb
01/24/2006, 09:49 PM
Should be able to get good advice here. I'm just getting started with seahorses too so, not much direct experience. However, seahorses usually like a lower water temperature than a reef (72-76) so sharing water could pose a problem.

pledosophy
01/25/2006, 02:00 PM
What advice are you looking for ? ? ?

Otherwise to help you I would have to write a book.

Tbohinc
01/25/2006, 02:46 PM
I read a few books and did other research before I set up my Reef tank the only thing I know about seahores is that Hi flow rate is bad and that I want some because I think they are cool I have know idea how to care for them at all so I guess I was looking for some books or a web page that will let me know what I need to get started

Thanks

nickb
01/25/2006, 02:57 PM
You can read in this forum. There are also some seahorse specific web sites (e.g. seahorse.org).

Probably, one main piece of advice you will get from everyone is to buy captive-bred seahorses NOT wild caught. Not only does this avoid further depletion of widl stock but CB eat frozen mysis while WC need live food.

They also need taller tanks (about 3-times the uncurled length of the seahorse).