PDA

View Full Version : Coralife Aqualight Pro

RockyMtnReef
01/24/2006, 09:38 PM
What do you guys know about this set up? Is it any good? Can you swap out the 10k bulbs for 14 or 20K at some point?

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=ES53530

Zoalander
01/24/2006, 10:55 PM
I have the 48 inch version and couldn't be happier. It runs pretty cool also for being MH. I own 2 coralife MH fixtures, 1 was new and is a year old and the other was used and is a couple years old. I have had 0 problems so far. Try premiumaquatics.com I bought mine from their and I think you might get a lower price.

otterpop510
01/25/2006, 02:35 AM
i also have a coralife 48" and a current 20" and like the coralife much more. i feel like the build is much better and the blue led's are much brighter and flouresce better than the current's. no problems and can swap out the 10k with any 10k, 14k or 20k DE (double ended) 150W HQI bulbs (i'm thinking of trying the XM or ushio next when these bulbs are up). external ballasts also seem to keep the weight and heat issues on top of the tank to a minimum.

RockyMtnReef
01/25/2006, 08:22 AM
Cool, thanks for the info. I am planning my dream in wall (72"x30"x30"). I dont have much head room and the low profile is really appealing. I only wish they made a 400W version. Oh well, the 250W should be fine.

Thanks again.

dascharisma
01/25/2006, 08:53 AM
If you are going to use these lights on an inwall tank, you are wasting your money. Just buy some retrofit kits. Why pay for a fancy case that no one will ever see?

Brad

swashbuckler
01/25/2006, 08:58 AM
its all about the case buddy! ever take marketing class? :D

thats why if a light system had a hot girl on it, i would buy it.....

RockyMtnReef
01/25/2006, 09:17 AM
Ha, ha. Thats good stuff!

I guess I should do more research on retrofits. I already have 440W VHO system. I guess I could tie that in with 3 250W or 400W and come up with the same thing. Who makes the best MH balasts and reflectors these days? I am new to MH and want to do it right.

Thx

wnutz
01/25/2006, 02:51 PM
do u guys with the 48 in fixture use the legs that it comes with and how long do u run the halides in a day.

MNreefer386
01/25/2006, 03:54 PM
icecap ballasts rock.. I have 2 250s on my 58 gallon. Very little heat, simple to hook up and they're tiny. I don't know about reflectors though....

RonD
01/25/2006, 11:57 PM
We have the 48" as well and love it. The feet that come with the set up suck. Ended up making some that are a little more heavy duty and grab on the inside and the outside lip of the top of our tank.. the stock ones only grab on one side and I broke one very soon after we got the light (flimsy and poor design). Other than that, couldn't be happier. recommend buying the timer set up as well that coralife makes. It wasn't availble when we bought and looks way simpler to use than three separate timers we have on our system.

otterpop510
01/26/2006, 12:16 AM
wnutz, i have an acyrlic tank, so the can't do an inside/outside leg.. but i use the legs in conjunction with the suspension wire unit. i like the suspension wire unit as i can lift the whole canopy above easily to work on the tank and put down with minimal messing around of the wiring and very easily by myself without much effort (which translates to me into more willingness to service the tank = happier tank). i mainly use the legs as a second support just in case, makes me feel safer as i live in earthquake country and there are kids around. i don't think i would trust the legs by themselves as being moved around all the time in terms of servicing the tank..

right now i'm running lower lighting cycle since i don't have sps in there (yet..) and the energy bills around california are crazy. 7 hours atinics, 5 hours mh dawn to dusk and 5 hours moonlight. all my corals and fish are doing great with this.. no complaints.

pennyguy23
01/26/2006, 10:26 PM
If your going to spend that much get something Higher in watts if you plan on sps's You'll have to keep them at the very top. I have that fixture in 48" Get a Soleset HQI 2 x 250w with T5

jcraft
01/26/2006, 10:52 PM
I had the 48" setup on my 72 for about 4 months and for the most part I liked it. Having an all-in-one light fixture so you can simulate a dusk/dawn is nice. As others have stated, they do run quite cool for halides - the support legs raise it about 7" off the water and I never had an issue with heat.

The only complaints I had with the set was that
1. the fixture itself is rather bulky- I have a 72 bowfront and when I had that fixture, I could no longer use my hood(its the Oceanic "stainless" tank, and you cant use retrofit kits)

2. 150w will eventually leave you wanting more, especially if you go the SPS route.

I ended up getting ReefOptixIII's on a BlueWave ballast running 250w Phoenix bulbs- couldnt be happier to have made the switch, even though I lost the "Actinic only" effect and moonlights

JmLee
01/26/2006, 11:15 PM
i ordered two aquamedic 250 watt HQI pendants for my 50 gal =)
coming in tomorrow, cant wait..

bureau13
01/27/2006, 12:16 AM
I'm looking at getting the 72" Aqualight Pro w/ 3x250W M-H bulbs. The thing is, I'll most likely be getting the Oceanic 175G bowfront, and I have to use the canopy. Its fairly tall, 10" I think...does anyone know if you can use this light in a canopy like this? Coralife does make a retrofit kit, but only with the 150W bulbs, and I want the 250W lights.

jds

jcraft
01/27/2006, 02:49 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6599219#post6599219 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bureau13
I'm looking at getting the 72" Aqualight Pro w/ 3x250W M-H bulbs. The thing is, I'll most likely be getting the Oceanic 175G bowfront, and I have to use the canopy. Its fairly tall, 10" I think...does anyone know if you can use this light in a canopy like this? Coralife does make a retrofit kit, but only with the 150W bulbs, and I want the 250W lights.

jds

most new Oceanic setups Ive seen come with the plastic canopys . . . there for looks, but not much else. before you go retrofit, make sure you can actually use your canopy for that prupose.

swashbuckler
01/27/2006, 07:19 AM
yeah, i have seen only plastic oceanic canopies....uggh... the quality of them was also questionable...

RockyMtnReef
01/27/2006, 08:36 AM
Hey bureau13
If you end up getting it let me know what you think. Its the exact same one I am looking at. My only concern is that the 250's wont be enough. My tank is probably going to end up being 280 gal (72x30x30) which only works out to 4.05 W/gal. I really wish they made a 400W version.

Marc