PDA

View Full Version : Why is live rock so $$$$$?

Peccavi18
01/24/2006, 09:45 PM
Is there a reason live rock prices are so high? Collection costs, destruction costs, transportion? I am amazed at some of the prices I see for rocks anymore going over $10.00 a lbs, at the LFS. And the prices just keep climbing. Is this a trend of supply and demand, or a constant that will just keep growing? -Pecc

Konadog
01/24/2006, 10:01 PM
All of the above, along with rising fuel costs for boats, trucks, planes, it all gets passed on the the consumer.

sundance1
01/24/2006, 11:25 PM
Shipping alone costs more that the rock itself,and that cost is passed on to us.

egdevilboy
01/24/2006, 11:30 PM
as stated above, shipping.

Figure 1 lb costs about $2 to ship...

then collection and housing another $2

then profit of course

NCreefwannabe
01/24/2006, 11:33 PM
Im making a tank soon just for making my own LR. Ill be either making it then growing it in an established tank, then ill sell it once it starts getting some nice coraline growth.

Search for base rock. Make most of your setup with base rock, then seed the base with some NICE LR peices. It will all be the same in a few months!!

boodwah
01/25/2006, 02:21 AM
I was wondering about doing that but have not found much about it. Where do I find good base rock? And what do I avoid?
Thanks!

BadOleRoss
01/25/2006, 06:57 AM
I bought about 135 lbs on line from Foster & Smith and it came out to just over $5 per pound and that included the shipping. The rock was pre cured and took less then a week in the tank to complete any die off that occured during shipping. :rollface:

Konadog
01/25/2006, 07:42 AM
BadOleRoss
[welcome]

Looking for someone in your area selling rock from a tank that is being taken down is another way to save some money. Look into local clubs is another possible way to find rock at a discount.

NCreefwannabe
01/25/2006, 08:34 AM
Yup, I found my rock for 1.50/# lol. Only 65 lbs, but hell thats a deal. Ill add about 50-60 more pounds of base from www.reeferrocks.com

Pandora
01/25/2006, 09:27 AM
IMO, it's due to the fact that it is now relatively rare and difficult to collect. In many parts of the world, live rock is protected under endangered species collection laws (as it should be), with special permits needed. Because it is so much more difficult to find and collect good pieces while still protecting the ecosystem and resources for future generations, it does come down to a supply and demand issue. With live rock being a finite resource and slow-to-grow commercially, and environmental laws only getting stricter and better enforced, I don't see these prices rising linearly in the future.

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-12/eb/index.php

Have you tried looking outside of stores, to private hobbyists in your region? If you search our sell/trade forums, you will frequently find people taking down tanks who are willing to sell great pieces for much cheaper, usually $2-3 a pound. In fact, last month I sold about 40 lbs, some of it Fiji with button polyps on it, for around $1 a lb. You can connect with these hobbyists by joining a local reef club.

Loralie
01/25/2006, 09:39 AM
Try going to any of the selling forum on sites. Quite often there are people in your area selling LR. I bought 400lbs for $2.50 a pound. Unfortunatly I had bought 125 lbs at $5.50 a lb when I started from LFS and they gave it to me at their cost plus shipping....live and learn

ho bag
01/25/2006, 09:39 AM
I got my base rock for $1 per lbs shipped! and it wasnt dead when i got it! My lfs wants $17lbs for live rock and its nasty stuff. And i mean nasty, they have not coral and there is maybe a little green on it.

Gobie
01/25/2006, 09:41 AM
If you want the rock work to be high for lighting instead of putting rock on top of rock, get large cheap pvc T fittings to go under your rock work. When you are done you won’t see any pvc.

acrocrazy
01/25/2006, 10:28 AM
because their is more of a need for it now more than ever.......supply and demand vato..supply and demand lol

Entropy
01/25/2006, 10:31 AM
Live rock can be had pretty cheap if you can find someone taking down their tank (which is pretty common here in SoCal). Keep an eye out at your local club forums. :) I got mine for $2 a pound.

chip721
01/25/2006, 10:39 AM
Pandora, I see you're in the Metro DC area. Can you recommend any good LFS's for lr?

Pandora
01/25/2006, 10:43 AM
chip, there are a ton of great LFS's in the area (PM me if you want some choices), but honestly, I wouldn't go to any of them for LR, I think the deals are better online or through another hobbyist. All the ones I know overcharge for LR, including the one I used to work for. I highly recommend joining WAMAS (www.wamas.org), our local reef group, thousands of active members, also a great help to anyone starting out. They have their own board and you can find good deals that way. If I had to pick an LFS for cheap LR, I'd say go to Roozen's nursery in Allentown, MD, it's on the east side of the beltway.

kidphc
01/25/2006, 10:43 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6582724#post6582724 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chip721
Pandora, I see you're in the Metro DC area. Can you recommend any good LFS's for lr?

Sorry not Pandora. I've gotten most of mine from Marine Scene in VA. If you can take a hike, Dr. Mac's on the Eastern shore is nice.

chip721
01/25/2006, 11:11 AM
ahhh ok. I think that's in Herndon. Haven't been there yet. thanks.

stillcity
01/25/2006, 04:28 PM
I live in Herndon too but Marine Scene seems kinda like a ripoff for what they sell.

ANyone have any experience with their rock? Or know of any better rock around in NOVA?

stillcity
01/25/2006, 04:44 PM
If I take my truck out to Dr. Mac's and buy rock in bring it back in water, does it still need to be cured? Do they cure the rock?

Is it worth the 2 hr drive out there?

chip721
01/25/2006, 10:31 PM
stillcity, I'm always on the hunt for LFS. But I got most of my lr at Wally's on 6493 Little River Turnpike, Alexandria. It's cured and you can hand pick. They even let you do some aquacaping at the store to see how pieces will fit before taking it home. I'd bring gloves.

stillcity
01/25/2006, 11:05 PM
I've been to Wally's picked up some African Ciclids there a few years ago. Not a bad store.

Thanks for the tip.