PDA

View Full Version : Brissle worms

templar_1109
01/24/2006, 09:52 PM
OK...i've heard the aurguments on both sides about brissle worms and im sure a few r ok but my tank is over run with them, i've tried the traps with limmited success, i've tried shrimp wraped in pantyhose (that worked a little better than the trap) but short of buying exspencive fish to eat the worms (just to have those fish freak when the population is too low to feed them) what can i do to get rid of these freakin things??!!

Mrs.kbmdale
01/24/2006, 10:16 PM
Nothing, don't get rid of them. Yes, there is a lot of debate... most of which is just people weirded out by them and not wanting to believe that they are actually beneficial. They eat the garbage in your tank, detritus, uneaten leftover food that has settled to the bottom or on rocks. CONTRARY to popular belief, they don't go after living things, only what is dead and/or rotting. IMO, if your tank is "OVER RUN" with them, then you can stop feeding soo much, because that is what they are eating.

FWIW,
Brianna:rollface:

Zaphod
01/24/2006, 10:19 PM
they are fine don't worry I have never been able to get rid of them they make a good cleanup crew.

bertoni
01/24/2006, 11:15 PM
Most bristleworms aren't harmful. Your live rock probably has thousands of them. If they are getting numerous, it's probably because they are getting a good food supply. You might want to reduce feeding. What all is in the tank and how much are you feeding?

sundance1
01/24/2006, 11:22 PM
Reduce the food source and the worms will eventually reduce in numbers.

GRREEF
01/24/2006, 11:48 PM
I have a very large population of them. I've seen them eat a dead snail in a matter of hours. They are a great clean-up crew IMHO.