PDA

View Full Version : coral advice please

SNOIPMAHC
01/25/2006, 07:49 AM
i would like to add some zoanthids button polyps to my reef tank
question i have been reading warnings they give off a chemical that could cause a problem if your not wearing gloves in the aquriaum. or you have a cut on your skin.anyone know if i should be concerned with this.
thanks

Willie_6
01/25/2006, 07:56 AM
Wear gloves. Better to be safe than sorry. I know several people who use their bare hands. I do not think it's that big of a deal, but it doesn't hurt to wear a glove. If you decide not to, just wah your hands immediately afer you done.

wrkinreef
01/25/2006, 09:17 AM
I have had reef tanks for about 25yrs. I bare hand it every day. I can't think of anything bad that has happened because of it. Well a lionfish got me about 15yrs ago hurt like heck but otherwise no problems for me .

teguc1
01/25/2006, 09:22 AM
I have buttons polyups and barehand as well. The only time I have had anything happen is my friggin spiny urchin poked me. That hurt really bad!

Paintbug
01/25/2006, 09:57 AM
you herd right, well kinda. zoos do produce the most toxic organic substance known to man. its called Palythoa toxica or palytoxin. however they dont just dump it in the water. you just about have to grind them up to extract it. now im not saying things dont go wrong with them, but its rare. heres a link http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=158730

techigirl78
01/25/2006, 10:29 AM
I usually wear no gloves when doing tank maintenance, but I do put the gloves on when I frag my zoas & buttons.

JENnKerry
01/25/2006, 06:54 PM
Hey
[welcome]

:D