PDA

View Full Version : Moorish Idol

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 04:40 PM
I just purchased a Moorish Idol from a local LFS. I understand they may be hard to keep. So far thay are eating pellet food and acclimation went well.

Any suggestions or advise would be greatly appreciated.

finneganswake
01/25/2006, 04:48 PM
My suggestion is to beat up the guy who sold it to you. That's like giving a 16 year old a Formula One car to drive.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 04:56 PM
Wow are they that hard to keep?

finneganswake
01/25/2006, 04:58 PM
Yep. They're known as one of the hardest fish to keep alive in this hobby. If I remember correctly, they exist almost entirely on sponges, but don't quote me on that. There's a guy on RC that has managed to keep one alive--I can't remember his name but he's the guy with the reverse undergravel filter on his tank--someone help me out here?

d4a2n0k
01/25/2006, 05:01 PM
There are only a handful of people that have kept them past 6 months. I think finneganswake is talking about PaulB.

They only eat a certain type of sponge in the wild and very few take prepared foods. Some even argue that even if you can get them eating they will eventually die from malnutrition anyway from not getting the sponge.

Take him back and dont shop there again.

finneganswake
01/25/2006, 05:06 PM
Yep. PaulB is the person I'm referring to.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 05:07 PM
Thanks

Alaskan Reefer
01/25/2006, 05:13 PM
Take him back. They shouldn't be kept... I won't go so far as the 16 year old analogy (heck, you could have 50 years experience keeping reefs), but really it's all but guaranteed to die withing 6 months. I'm not a PETA type, but it's ridiculous that they're still harvested and sold...

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 05:18 PM
I don't want to take him back. I want to try and keep him alive. If I take him back he will die in thier system. I already spent the money unfortunately and am going to try and keep him as long as I can.

JRod
01/25/2006, 05:24 PM
Death Wish.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 05:26 PM
apparently

GregM779
01/25/2006, 05:28 PM
I think you guys are getting a little carried away. They are a more difficult fish to keep but if yours is eating that is a good sign. You have a large tank, which they love. Try and feed it nori and get it onto mysis. Mine eats anything I put into the tank now. Do a search and read a lot, the correct spelling is moorish idol

Black71gp
01/25/2006, 05:29 PM
just a FYI try to search the boards and read up on things before purchaseing them.. good luck..

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 05:34 PM
I plan on doing a lot of reading about them, Hopefully I can keep him eating.

StinkinTuna
01/25/2006, 05:38 PM
I don't have one and don't plan on it based on the info I've gathered, but I've seen quite alot of fish stores in my area selling them (not always in stock there but not surprising to see them).

Im in SoCA. around LA and won't name store names, but it seems like its not an uncommon fish to be sold in stores regardless of its success rate in home aquariums..... I guess its lke cleaner wrasses being sold left and right too.

But good luck on your Moorish Idol, hope it all turns out well :)

ste6168
01/25/2006, 05:39 PM
GregM - You have an idol? How long have you had it? Could we see some pictures of him? I have thought about also getting one but still am not sure because of their lack of hardiness.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 05:47 PM
I'll try to get pics. It is about 5 inches nose to tail

Gobie
01/25/2006, 05:49 PM
MONK_11

Did you get them at Pets Plus I saw them they were nice.
Do you have a picture of your tank?

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 06:04 PM
Yes, Pets Plus on the Boulevard. I do not have any current pics I just moved the tank into my Basement. Still in wall but a better design. Had problems keeping the Temp etc constant due to the back of the tank being in the garage the first time. I will post when I finish the install and the room.

Gobie
01/25/2006, 06:08 PM
They were eating good at the store, they fed them while I was there. Good luck with them they are beautiful!

Alaskan Reefer
01/25/2006, 06:24 PM
They are beautiful, no doubt about that. If you're going to keep the fish, I'd just try and be as diverse as possible with the feeding -- try anything and keep it mixed up. Should give you the best chances. Your tank size is definitely a plus. It would be great if the fish thrived for you, I think we'd all like to have one if there was a way to keep them alive longer. :)

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 06:29 PM
I know that they like sponge, going to mix up the diet and try to feed Angel formula as much as possible.

Gobie
01/25/2006, 06:48 PM
I think if you get pairs together they tend to do better and if they are already eating as these are you will have a better chance with them doing fine and living a normal healthy life. People have kept them long term with no problem if they get healthy ones already eating and keep more then one in a LARGE tank. See if they will pick at dried seaweed on a clip.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 06:50 PM
I didn't think they would eat sea weed, but I will try anything

GregM779
01/25/2006, 06:59 PM
Mine loves seaweed. Spectrum pellets are also excellent to feed them at least once a week.
StinkinTuna, I've had my cleaner wrasse about 6 months now.

Here's some pics of my Idol, the first is a macro, the second is a few weeks old and the third was just taken (those are cyclopeeze in the tank)
You can see how it's streamer is growing back

http://www.pbmas.org/forum/attachments/DSC_0013[813].jpg

http://www.pbmas.org/forum/attachments/DSC03348[730].jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v641/GregM779/DSC03820.jpg

skylab1
01/25/2006, 07:02 PM
Monk_11,

Good for you for trying to keep the Moorish Idol, you are in luck since your idol all ready eating dry food. Moorish Idol will eat dry sea weed just like the tangs, they may not eat it right away but they will. Offer your Idol P.E. mysid shrimp, and feed it offen; 3 times a day if you can. The fater it gets the better. I wouldn't add anymore fish to the tank for at least 6 month, you don't want the idol to catch anything for other new fish.

Moorish Idol is not that hard to keep, specially you got the one that eats you are already half way there. I've keep one for 6 month before I sold it. So good luck.

BTW, they are doing better in a pair or group.

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 07:03 PM
Very nice, I will be trying the seaweed tomorrow.

Gobie
01/25/2006, 07:08 PM
They are a close relative to tangs, they are omnivorous.

yoboyjdizz
01/25/2006, 07:09 PM
there very hard to keep but not impossible to keep if you go to the reef fish forum their is a thread on going on them great information lots of sponge in their diet , pairs , large tank and a tank built around them seems to be the key in most people's short , very short success with them so far...

MONK_11
01/25/2006, 07:15 PM
I cant search do you have a link to that thread?

toonces
01/25/2006, 07:20 PM
yep, they're not impossible. a 300 gallon tank is a good start.

SDguy
01/25/2006, 07:25 PM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=607477&highlight=moorish+idol

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=404595&highlight=moorish+idol

Paul B
01/28/2006, 04:53 PM
They are not impossable to keep but they are not easy unless you have access to some things, like the ocean. I followed them in Tahiti and I know they eat mostly sponge. Mine eats anything and all of mine ate but I believe they need sponge and not the little amount that is supposed to be in angel formula (which is mostly brine shrimp) I collect sponge locally in NY and I freeze it. My Idol will jump out of the water for it. I also feed almost every day, live black worms that were fed Selcon.
Additionally I have a feeder that dumps pellets into a dish, the Idol learned to eat from the dish and none of the food is lost in the tank. Mine is a little over two years old and is very healthy but it cost me almost $7000 so far (including the dive trip to Tahiti) to figure these fish out. If the fish is eating that does not mean much. Regular aquarium fare that you buy at an LFS I don't believe is enough. I have had maybe 15 of them and they all ate.
Good luck but I have my doubts.
Have a great day.
Paulhttp://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Copy_of_Morish_Idol_003.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Copy_of_DSC00875.jpg
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094tahiti-med.jpg

Kalkbreath
01/28/2006, 07:44 PM
Which type of sponge did they eat in the wild?

nccmike
01/28/2006, 08:02 PM
I know its not related to the thread but GregM779 you have a really nice tank there.

Paul B
01/28/2006, 10:09 PM
I saw them eat this lime green sponge but I can't identify it.
Paul

delafe
01/28/2006, 11:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6610813#post6610813 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Paul B
I collect sponge locally in NY and I freeze it. My Idol will jump out of the water for it. I also feed almost every day, live black worms that were fed Selcon.Have a great day.
Paul

Paul:

I am in NY, what type of sponge are you collecting and from where? I used to harvest Krill from Pelham Bay to feed my seahorses about 15 years ago... Thought that the polution would have a negative effect but it never did that I could notice.

If I could get 2 LBS of sponge to make my own "formula" mixing it with mysis, selco, seaweed, etc it would sure safe me a TON of money.

Thanks,

-Alfred

GregM779
01/28/2006, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6611890#post6611890 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by nccmike
I know its not related to the thread but GregM779 you have a really nice tank there.
Thanks, here's my thread if you get bored, I should be posting updated pics of the tank in about a week or so.

j0tca
01/28/2006, 11:35 PM
Although I have no experience with moorish idols I thought I'de chime in here for some moral support.

I currently keep extremely healthy Goniopora (green) and a 6 month old cleaner wrass that attacks all food I put in the tank. My goni is goin on 16 months now and is very healthy and hardy. My wrass is as healthy as any fish I've ever seen.

Both of these species are supposed to be imopssible to keep and I've been successful, mostly out of luck I'm sure, but successful nontheless.

Good for you for trying, it's the only way we learn.

Paul B
01/29/2006, 06:49 AM
Alfred, I also collect from Pelham Bay and the Islands off of there. I have been diving near there since 1973. I even collect a lot of my water from the Sound.
As for the sponge, I have only seen it on the south shore of Long Island on dsocks and pilings. It may also be on the north shore but I have not seen it there, although I have not looked.
It is brownish red and sticks to the wood and is easy to scrape off with your hands. It grows about an inch and a half up from the wool. You also can't keep it alive for any length of time in a tank, I would imagine the temperature in our tanks is too warm.
I collect it in Seaford Long Island and two lbs should not be a problem but it may take an hour. A good friend of mine has a home on the water there with a dock that has enough of it for my reef for a year. This summer I will look around for more places where it can be found.
Here is a picture of it after it is pulled from the wood.
Paul

http://http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Local_sponge.jpg

Paul B
01/29/2006, 06:49 AM
Try again
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/13094Local_sponge.jpg

delafe
01/29/2006, 10:16 AM
I have only gone diving in the tropics. ;-) Any interest in selling some?

-Alfred

tangreef68
01/29/2006, 10:35 AM
very nice fish

Lpsfanatic338
01/29/2006, 11:21 AM
Paul b, were on long island are you from

VWD
01/29/2006, 12:24 PM
Cool, People can and do keep them alive, They are great looking fish , I have never had one and more then likely never will. But You can keep them alive and happy.

thereefmaster
01/29/2006, 12:57 PM
Congrats on having the guts to keep the 'lil guy. I don't have the guts to do it, thats for sure. I agree with GregM779, the spectrum pellets work wonders for my fish :). Also, PaulB's idea with feeding the blackworms that have been fed Selcon sounds like a great idea. The more nutrition the better. Good luck, and show us some pics! :D

Cheers, HTH

-Nate

Paul B
01/29/2006, 01:02 PM
Alfred, you don't have to dive for this sponge, it grows right near the surface on docks. I don't have any to sell you now. If I collect a lot of it in the summer I will gladly give you some but you can probably get some from your side of the Sound.
Lpsfanatic338 I am from New Hyde Park about 25 minutes from you.
Paul

enchie
03/13/2007, 07:14 PM
Any updates on your Idol? Did it make it?

When I first started my reef tank I bought a cleaner wrass. I had no idea they were hard to keep. It lasted almost 2 years? Over a year for sure. After it died??? Not sure, just one day it was gone. I bought another one & it died within 2 weeks.
I bought another one & it lasted maybe 1 month & then died.
I couldn't figure it out, so I read up on them & saw that they are hard to keep.

I bought one more that was healthy looking. Reason is I have a reef tank & it is almost impossible to catch a fish in there without tearing down the tank. My fish had some parasite on it.

The last one I bought lasted maybe 6 months.

I just wanted to wish you luck. Sometimes you get lucky.