PDA

View Full Version : Will it hold?

Capt'n T
01/25/2006, 07:39 PM
Not sure if this is where I should post this, I just aquired a 55g tank and have a question as to placement. I live in a double wide mobile home (housing costs are insane in my neck of the woods). Now I have searched the site and find references to to placing the tank on an outside wall, but these are for "real" homes. Does the same concept apply to mobiles that are not on a permanent foundation? Just wondering if anyone with more knowledge could help out before I get the tank all set up and something bad happens.

NCreefwannabe
01/25/2006, 07:50 PM
I was wondering the same thing. Im about to buy my first home from a friend, and its a trailer also. I was told most trailers have I beams, and can usually hold more than a house on foundation, but Im looking to get a much bigger tank when I move (around 150+ gallons)

Im sure as long as the floor itself isnt going bad, a 55 gallon shouldnt be an issue. There is a 75 gallon in the trailer im buying soon already, its been there for years.

Capt'n T
01/25/2006, 07:52 PM
Thanks for the response, that makes me feel better!!!

Chappy
01/25/2006, 08:22 PM
Figure a 55 gallon will be about 500 pounds. 4 people standing next to each other? It'll probably be alright.

Konadog
01/25/2006, 08:34 PM
Capt'n T, if it's a newer trailer/modular home, you might be able to look up the specifications on floor loading. They should have it listed somewhere. If it's an older home, you might be able to contacted the manufacturer with the model and year for information. If all else fails, go under and look in the area of where your placing the tank, it's best if the tank is perpendicular to any floor supports.

Capt'n T
01/25/2006, 08:52 PM
Thanks guys:)

NCreefwannabe
01/25/2006, 09:48 PM
also since you can get under a trailer usualy with ease, i had planed on making like an under trailer stand underneath my tank with some ply across the beams and some 4x4's. but this is only for the larger tank not my 55.

I know the brace would be to much, but I work construction so I get free wood anytime lol.

fareforce
01/25/2006, 11:07 PM
The spec plate should be buy the furnace, or on the tounge

AllenFord_SC
01/26/2006, 12:30 AM
Go to Home Depot and rent a mobile home jack unless you have one. Place cinder block under the area that the tank will sit. Then shim it as you lower the jack.

Figuring the weight of a tank:

55 gallon: 45lbs? not sure on this
Water: after sand and LR only about 75% of the tank will hold water so roughly 41 gallons at 8.4 lb/gal is 345lbs.
Sand: 1 lb per gallon so 55lbs
LR: 1-2 lbs per gallon so anywhere from 55 - 110 lbs.
plus the weight of the stand and sump if you use one.

500 - 560lbs + weight of stand and sump (if used)

Hope this helps!

Ti
01/26/2006, 02:15 AM
i've seen 120 long in trailers.