PDA

View Full Version : Ordering fish online

mtiknoles
01/25/2006, 08:42 PM
Has anyone ever ordered fish from themarinecenter.com or marinedepotlive.com?

Tonya

ZC
01/25/2006, 09:57 PM
I acctually just got in a order from the marine center, great service and packing, however shipping is something like 35 bucks, but they have a lot more stuff than you can find at the lfs. The eel I got from them was packed very well, and looked very healthy, and was eating the day after he was intoduced. I will prolly use them again in the future.

lawboy888
01/26/2006, 12:55 AM
i ordered a lot on line. but i find you can get most things you want from the local fish stores. not only does the fish you get is less stressed but you are supporting local stores. I know Gary of ART can get most species and the prices are very competitive with online stores. Marine Center is pretty good but you can get better pricing at other sites :)

theishkid
01/26/2006, 01:04 AM
Obviously some of these stores like marinedepot have to be doing something right or they wouldn't still be in business. But I am officially against ordering livestock online now. I ordered some things, mainly snails from one particular site, and over half of them were dead or dying. I'm sure most people have great experiences getting things online, but I would just rather see what I am taking home.

Youngsilver
01/26/2006, 04:02 AM
I ordered a regal tang of all things from vividaquariums online, and it arrived without a single spot of ich. Its meaner than heck, but thats not their fault ;D (chuckle)

Snprhed
01/26/2006, 07:25 AM
I have never ordered from marindepot, but have heard great things about their livestock. Their drygoods side has excellent customer service and pricing and I would expect the same from the live side. Don't pay any attention to that crap about "buying local" we all get 85% (or more) of our stuff locally anyway.

See if you can get a few people to go in with you to reduce the shipping charges.

Korndog
01/26/2006, 09:55 AM
>85% ???? I think that might be a bit high if you consider 'everyone'. I know that when I first got started I purchased almost everything online.

Everyone has difference experiences with online vendors, so it’s a give and take relationship. Remember, though, with all the LFS's showing up over the last year, it’s as simple as going into one, telling them what you’re after, and showing them the online price. MOST of them will get very close to the price and will even save you $$$ since you don't have to pay for shipping ( or order a bunch of stuff you don’t need just to hit the free shipping mark ).

I ordered from marinedepotlive.com a while back and the order was overall good, had a few DOA's .. but that is expected. Unless your needing a LOT of livestock, I would go to the LFS's and barter with them, I know of at least one store that will match (and beat) what it would cost to order things online... plus if you order from a LFS, you get to see it when it comes in .... and if its not to your satisfaction .. you don’t have to buy it ... so that is a plus. So, without getting into the LFS/OFS debate, most of the online stores have great quality and can sometimes provide a better deal. Just be sure and call up the LFS's in this area ... I’m sure you can find a 'better' deal somewhere locally.... business is hard to get with all this competition.

Gwalker
01/26/2006, 10:06 AM
Also without going into a long debate about online vendors...

I agree that most online prices are easy to beat on marine fish. Especially when considering the quality and other numerous advantages to buying from your LFS. I generally priortize any requested animals when I do any livestock ordering, all you have to do is ask....

For those that want to do a debate on online vs. LFS heres one of many threads that covers that popular topic.....

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=727703

My 2 cts

Gary

Travis L. Stevens
01/26/2006, 11:36 AM
Oh yes, I remember that thread.. :rolleye1: ... and many more that are similar to it that are on other various forums and boards.

mtiknoles
01/26/2006, 06:26 PM
Gary I sent you a PM.

Tonya

Gwalker
01/26/2006, 06:58 PM
All PM's answered.

Thanks,

Gary

janderson8
01/26/2006, 07:04 PM
All I have to say is I go into a fish store and give them the first opertunity and if the price is withing a reasonible amount I buy it but when one fish store charges $465 local for a skimmer and you can find the same one for $289 on line you better go on line. But beleave me when I say we will al miss they day there is no local fish store!!!

Snprhed
01/27/2006, 08:00 AM
Agree totally J

ZC
01/27/2006, 08:23 AM
it's funny to see how fast a thread can get off subject. Start off asking about online fish vendors and ends of debating and arguing the costs of skimmers in LFS.............

This subject is obviously touchy to quite a few ppl.

Korndog
01/27/2006, 12:51 PM
well, buying drygoods is a completely different subject than buying livestock online.

Rascal
01/28/2006, 08:18 AM
What's really funny is the question itself...like it hasn't been addressed a hundred times before.

mtiknoles
01/28/2006, 06:47 PM
Gary your mailbox is full.

Gwalker
01/28/2006, 07:13 PM
Sorry, that happens a lot. I have numerous PMs a day and sometimes I lose track of it.

Gary

kpk
02/25/2006, 11:52 PM
Tonya yhpm

_Sooner_2
02/26/2006, 03:23 PM
LOL at "we all get 85% (or more) of our stuff locally anyway."

Back on subject, I've never ordered live goods online. When it comes to live stuff, I want to see what I'm getting. Maybe some sites show actual pictures of the item you're purchasing?

zoomfish1
02/27/2006, 08:32 PM
You really don't have to knock the OFS. All you have to do is use them properly. Browse all the neat stuff they have online, decide what you want to have in your tank. You can even print a pic of it, take to you LFS and have them order it for you, cause we all want our favs to stay in business.

Just remember, these stores serve a useful purpose in the overall spectrum of our reefs. Find what you want and spend you money at home. Period, and that's all I have to say about that. (Forrest Gump on cable this weekend).

kpk
02/27/2006, 08:45 PM
you get my pm zoom?