PDA

View Full Version : crab question

petermai
01/26/2006, 06:44 AM
i was at the lfs and they were selling these little hermits, 6 for 5 bucks so i bought 12. i thought they were blue legged but when i got home, i realized they had black legs with white tips. one of the pincher is quite larger than the other, but both are spoon shaped. how reef safe are these guys...? they seem to walk right by my zoa's with no problem.

kmk2307
01/26/2006, 06:49 AM
These are probably "zebra" hermit crabs which I prefer to blue legs.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=613

Kevin

petermai
01/26/2006, 07:09 AM
thanks for the clarification, kmk.

Kitteness
01/26/2006, 08:29 AM
i have had these in my reef tank for a long time and they don't cause any problems one of mine is getting quite big though he musta found some steriods the others missed

petermai
01/26/2006, 09:30 AM
my girlfriend insisted on getting them because she said that the shells they're wearing makes them look like little walking black beans, haha. i on the other hand didn't look carefully at their coloration to notice that they're black and white, and not blue and white. i was more concerned with the shape of the pincher.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6591926#post6591926 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Kitteness
i have had these in my reef tank for a long time and they don't cause any problems one of mine is getting quite big though he musta found some steriods the others missed

thehedge
01/26/2006, 01:00 PM
The only problem that I have with these, are they seem to be the most inclined out of all the hermits that I have had to kill other snails for their shells...even with empty shells lying around the place.

robmacy
01/26/2006, 01:57 PM
mine all disappeared under the rocks. never to be seen again. i think my Electric Blue ate them all.

3rotorFD
01/27/2006, 02:44 AM
did you buy em' At the 6th avenue aquarium?
I don't want to be an A**hole but.......That place sucks! IT IS CHEAP. Good prices and all. But in the long RUN you will regret buying stuff from them:( .TRUST ME! 2nd avenue and balboa. The guy there will NOT SELL you stuff or livestock just B/C he wants your money. He CARES about his fish and customers....that said .It's worth the extra money/time. Remember nothing in this hobby happens fast.......

petermai
01/27/2006, 06:25 AM
3rotorFD,

yeah, i did buy it from 6th avenue, sadly. i'm always around that area eating, looking around and i'd always stop in to by fish food there. i was just at at 2nd and balboa earlier this evening looking for a ph controller but they don't offer it.

do you know of any good fish stores in SF, because in san jose, i have to say aquatic gallery is the best.

3rotorFD
01/27/2006, 02:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6599860#post6599860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by petermai
3rotorFD,

yeah, i did buy it from 6th avenue, sadly. i'm always around that area eating, looking around and i'd always stop in to by fish food there. i was just at at 2nd and balboa earlier this evening looking for a ph controller but they don't offer it.

do you know of any good fish stores in SF, because in san jose, i have to say aquatic gallery is the best. that's the only one in the city that i would recommend to people.
There's on in san mateo (ultimate aquarium) that is pretty good and there's another one in mountain view(seascapes) that one is good for fish .They have some fat healthy fish in there. and the owner also is very helpful and answers all your questions.........
why would you need a ph controller? is your tank new?

petermai
01/27/2006, 05:24 PM
i need the ph controller because i just bought the calcium reactor. if you know anyone with, i'd love to take an offer on it.