PDA

View Full Version : Safety guidelines for use of aquariums in public spaces(?)

eleodes
01/26/2006, 12:57 PM
Hi All

I am working on setting up saltwater tanks in classrooms and I wish to know if there are any kind of published guidelines for the safe use of aquariums in such contexts.

Thanks for considering this.

donfishy76
01/26/2006, 01:01 PM
put a big sign that says:

DO NOT TOUCH
NO TOCAR

eleodes
01/26/2006, 09:58 PM
yes, that will definately be understood.

any other suggestions? it seems like there must be something published out there.

spslover123
01/26/2006, 10:32 PM
What grade levels are we talking about here?

Chris

EmergencyDpt
01/26/2006, 10:54 PM
Run one of those cattle containment high voltage low amp electric wires around the thing... No no, better use high amps.

T-6 Driver
01/26/2006, 11:11 PM
My suggestions:

- Situate the tanks in the lowest traffic area possible.

- Make sure that there is no way that the tank can be tipped over. Epoxy a bracket(s) on the back and attach it to the wall.

- If there is a stand with a cabinet containing plumbing (a skimmer in a sump, etc.), make sure that the cabinet locks.

- Cover as much of the top of the tank as is possible.

- Ensure that you have a drip loop and a surge protector. Bundle all cords together and affix them to the wall & tank stand.

- Keep all chemicals under lock and key.

There may be OSHA guidelines that dictate more, but I can't speak to them with any authority.

eleodes
01/27/2006, 12:31 AM
thanks T-6. i have considered most of those things, although i am still working on organizing wires. i had GFCI's installed in all of the outlets and i also dropped ground probes into each tank.

they are college students. i don't anticipate problems with horseplay or anything like that. i am most concerned for the safety of the persons performing maintenace (including me).

integlikewhoa
01/27/2006, 01:38 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6599278#post6599278 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eleodes
I don't anticipate problems with horseplay or anything like that. i am most concerned for the safety of the persons performing maintenace (including me).

Theres one problem. Expect anything and everything. I think the biggest problem would be people getting into things. Canopy and stand has to lock. No access to the water or any valves should be allowed with out unlocking something first.

reefD
01/27/2006, 03:09 AM
no real safety issues. just post a sign to wash hands after touching any live stock..that'll cover it.