PDA

View Full Version : Outer Orbit

ram6519
01/26/2006, 02:31 PM
Does anybody have these lights and if so what is your option of them?? I am looking at the 48" lights.

http://www.marinedepot.com/aquarium_lighting_metal_halide_current_usa_outer_orbit_hqi_actinic_lunar.asp?CartId=

Saaack
01/26/2006, 05:17 PM
I have one. Very nice light. I actually called Current USA before buying. I was concerned about the MHs only being 3" off the water, and was 2x150W enough for a 28" tall tank. The Current rep told me this placement was optimal for maximum light pentration into the water. He assurred me 150 watt DE HQI bulbs were good to 30" due to a combination of electronic ballasts and the close proximity of the lights to the water.

I can tell you from experience that this light is not heating my aquarium any more than the PC lights I had before. The MHs looks WAY better than flourescents.

The light has 2 fans mounted in the top. They draw air in from the sides. One fan runs with the actinics on, and the other when the MHs kick on.

My only complaint is I think 6 LEDs are overkill for moonlight. I may disconnect half of them. Just my preference.

David Grigor
01/26/2006, 05:21 PM
The downside is that they don't make 250W DE fixtures.

But if your looking for 150W, the quality is pretty good for the $$. I presonally would probably lean more toward the ocean light fixtures by aquamedic for virtually the same money in the 250W DE fixtures such as this:

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=AM-75046&Category_Code=Oceanlight-T5

Saaack
01/26/2006, 05:31 PM
I almost bought that light. I think 2x250 is total overkill for 55 gal.

rm
01/26/2006, 07:38 PM
I like mine (72") and I enjoy the moonlights. I have it hanging from the supplied cables. NOTE: I broke the cable adjuster and Current sent me a new set foc (no instructions are included for the cables, don't be like me and unscrew the part where the cable goes in or all the bearings will fall out). The supplied feet do set it very close and I couldn't open my glass lids. I have it hanging just high enough now to clear the lid.

The only other problem I've had is a slow turn on with one set of dual actinics. Advice was to swap them around to determine if it's the light or ballast. It never happened again so I haven't been able to test it. My guess is a loose connection on the bulb.

David Grigor
01/27/2006, 05:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6596041#post6596041 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Saaack
I almost bought that light. I think 2x250 is total overkill for 55 gal.

It all depends on what livestock you have. Predominate LPS/Softy could be overfkill, I personally think VHOs fit that niche better. SPS/Acropora definately not and will get much better results than with 150W DE. I've owned 150W DE Aquamedic fixtures and 250W DE fixtures, along with all the Single ended wattages from 150W up to 400wers over the years in this hobby for about 11 years now.

I'd take the 250Wers over the 150wers any day and especially if I could get it for the same amount of money.