PDA

View Full Version : Using a canopy w/ MH lights?

NoIdeaWhatToDo
01/26/2006, 06:40 PM
I'm getting a 175 watt MH. I was originally thinking of using a glass top, but after much reading this seems to be a bad idea b/c of heat. So I think my options are egg crate or no canopy. Seems like there are pros/cons to both. Any experienced reefers out there that can give some suggestions? I don't have fish yet, but I am afraid of fish jumping out in the future. This is the only thing making me lean towards egg crate. Thanks in advance.

bearpeidog
01/26/2006, 07:23 PM
I'm prob in the minority but I do run 2-250 MH in my canopy. I also have glass tops on and my bulbs are 5-6 inches off the glass.

I don't have heating problems but I vented my canopy with two icecap fans (one on each end blowing out). The top of the canopy is closed and air is drawn into the back and sent out the sides. So far the setup works fine - although I haven't been through a summer with it yet.

zenzence
01/26/2006, 08:19 PM
Ya I use 2 175 watt bulbs and a glass top and 2 fans in a wooden canopy about 6 inches from the water. No problems at all I even bought a chiller that never turns on. No problems here just make sure those fans are up and running and you will be fine.

supertech3
01/26/2006, 08:41 PM
I have an open top tank with 3-175mh's and the only fish that have jumped out were wrasses. so read the description of the fish that you intend on buying if you leave an open top to avoid fish loss

Fast Fred
01/26/2006, 08:55 PM
I agree with supertech3. Very few reef-safe fish are carpet surfers. Read up on 'em before you buy 'em.