PDA

View Full Version : Not sure if anyone noticed this...

egdevilboy
01/26/2006, 11:59 PM
Georgia Aquarium (http://science.howstuffworks.com/georgia-aquarium3.htm) :
"70 percent of the aquarium's animals came from fish farms, zoos and other aquariums"

Good to hear.

I cant wait for the day to come where only legal corals and fish are fragged/farmed! (my 10 year plan to do high scale fragging may cause a lil biase on the topic...)

BTW, this is my first time in the "responsible reef keeping" section

AdidaKev
01/27/2006, 10:48 AM
That's definitely good news. Hopefully other public aquariums will follow suit.

egdevilboy
01/27/2006, 08:59 PM
i also heard that they use man-made coral and placed it in fiji or something for a few years to seed it, then used it.

Which is also good to hear.

Blown 346
02/03/2006, 12:19 AM
That is awsome to watch the whale shark eat.

onereefnotenuf
02/03/2006, 08:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6599139#post6599139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by egdevilboy
Georgia Aquarium (http://science.howstuffworks.com/georgia-aquarium3.htm) :
"70 percent of the aquarium's animals came from fish farms, zoos and other aquariums"

Good to hear.

I cant wait for the day to come where only legal corals and fish are fragged/farmed! (my 10 year plan to do high scale fragging may cause a lil biase on the topic...)

BTW, this is my first time in the "responsible reef keeping" section
what do you think will happen to the reefs if they are no longer valuable to the local economy? if only food fish are caught there and the liverock/rubble is only valuable for grinding up in asphalt streets and used in septic systems the reef will be in more peril than if it has value as a sustainable resource. if the cyanide fisherman are stopped and fisherman are taught how to keep their resourse intact,the value of the reef will be maintained and because it is more valuable intact, it should stay that way.

gil716
02/08/2006, 12:01 PM
i found this factoid somewhat refreshing...

"Hundreds of the center’s residents were donated by the US Fish and Wildlife Service in a deal that allows the aquarium access to fish and animals caught in nets, confiscated at borders or otherwise seized. About 100 tarpon—the silvery game fish that fetch tens of thousands of dollars at elite fishing tournaments—were rescued from a tide pool off the coast of Georgia’s Skidaway Island."

I wonder what would've happened to the animals otherwise.

Ti
02/08/2006, 07:12 PM
only 30% left to go

egdevilboy
02/08/2006, 11:47 PM
cant be perfect. Plus there are some fish that are nearly impossible to breed.