PDA

View Full Version : Coral ID Please

Angel*Fish
01/27/2006, 11:04 AM
I feel silly cause I don't seem to be able to find a name for this coral & I'm sure it's not unusual or anything. I have searched all through E.Borneman's book & other sources & would just like to know what to call it plus maybe some care tips, etc.

It has very small tentacles that only open at night. I've had it 6 mo. or so & it is growing, but slowly. And is sitting 10-12 in. almost directly under the 175 w 14,000 k. bulb. Color in photo is pretty accurate. Very slimy Produces lots of mucous where ever & whenever bothered.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/5247125coral.jpg

MiddletonMark
01/27/2006, 11:05 AM
Looks like a form of Turbinaria sp. to me, but I'd await the smarter people's arrival :)

Angel*Fish
01/27/2006, 11:12 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6601452#post6601452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
but I'd await the smarter people's arrival :) LOL- How will we recognize them? :D

Angel*Fish
01/27/2006, 12:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6601452#post6601452 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by MiddletonMark
Looks like a form of Turbinaria sp. to me:)

Thanks so much! I was so amused by the second half of your comment I almost missed this part.. OK So I went & read every little thing in E.B.'s book on these - it sure does sound like your're right on target. Thoough there is no photo of one that has all the same things as mine. I also get the impression that mine is just a baby - should be interesting to see it grow up.

The polyps on mine are not "fleshy" & the coral as a whole has a chalice shape.

E.B. says the ones shaped like mine tend to be from deeper water...do you know what the signs of too much light would be?