PDA

View Full Version : Keeping SPS?

-=Mach6=-
01/27/2006, 11:30 AM
I am curious how many people have success keeping sps without a calcium reactor?

MiddletonMark
01/27/2006, 11:33 AM
Search back a few weeks - there's been at least 2 threads in the last month on this.

For smaller tanks, many don't use a Ca Rx, and IMO, have great success.

I don't.

MiddletonMark
01/27/2006, 11:38 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=729290&highlight=without+reactor

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=752176&highlight=without+reactor

Most definitely more ...

DMK
01/27/2006, 02:16 PM
i've been keeping sps pretty successfully, other than a few STN cases, as those with CR do too, and i only use BIonic daily to keep my Ca and Alk stable. i have no room for a reactor. i don't mind it at all, and it's just 1 less thing u have to worry about, and 1 less thing that can go wrong. u don't need a CR to successfully keep sps.

merk1_99
01/27/2006, 02:47 PM
I keep SPS np but I dose using Randy's three part...

-=Mach6=-
01/27/2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys. So each one of you guys dose different chemicals to keep you Ca and alk stabilized?

MiddletonMark
01/27/2006, 05:33 PM
Seems like most of us dose a 2-part Ca/Alk system - likely very much similar [if not same] compounds. One store bought, one made at home [from non-LFS compounds] ... but same solutions, in essence.

I've used both B-ionic systems and Randy's 2-part [really 3-part, with Magnesium additions] and IMO they're quite similar product [and the same concept, adding Ca from one bottle, Alk/Carbonate from the other to balance these 2 levels in the tank].

While possible, I suppose someone is just using water changes, or just using Kalkwasser too ... just seems that 2-part is most common [other than the most common Ca Rxs]

Just my take on it. Depending on tank size, you could make it quite a while. My 58g after a couple years now slurps up the 2-part ... but while growing out frags, it really didn't cost that much.