PDA

View Full Version : Aggressive Twin Spot Hog Wrasse?

Schaefer
01/28/2006, 09:15 AM
My new Twin Spot Hog Wrasse seems to be damaging the fins on my percula clown. The wrasse has been in the tank for 4 weeks now and I noticed the fin damage on the clown a few days ago. It was worse last night. Just his lower fins.

Has anyone else had problems with a Twin Spot? I've never seen mine pester the clown though.

The tank has been up for 1 year. 22 gallon flat back w/ 20# live rock. 130 watts PC with CPR BakPak, Tetra Tec 300 and a Rio 200 for circulation. Purple Fire Fish, blood shrimp and a 10 snails. Frog spawn, Ricodia, Zoo's, Mushroom Polyps and some stars. The fire fish and wrasse have "dens" on opposite sides of the tank with room for a couple more "dens".

Phos = 0
Calc = 380
Alk = 8
Ph = 8.2 but spiked last week for the first time in a long time to 8.4. Mushrooms look good again so this seems to be fixed.

Thanks!

techigirl78
01/28/2006, 04:13 PM
You have a coris aygula in a 22 gal tank? If yes, it seems awkward to have a den. Do you have sand in the tank? Also, these fish get 2 ft. and require huge tanks. If I'm off on the species, let me know.

JonTarutis
01/28/2006, 04:21 PM
Is it Bodianus bimaculatus?? If so...typical behavior for them... reef safe but not all are invert friendly (shrimp/crabs) and they all tend to get a little picky with weaker or more passive fish. I'd get it out now...

Schaefer
01/28/2006, 06:02 PM
techgirl78

Yes he is a Bodianus bimacullatis (max. 3.9"). Per the Marine Fishes guide that I refer to he seemed like a good candidate for my 22G. It does warn that he may become "boisterous" against dartfishes but not clowns.

My firefish does a pretty good job of defending himself. Looks like the wrasse tries to tag the firefish but the firefish nails him before he gets the chance. I haven't seen the wrasse tag the clown but the clown is the one with the fin problems. I'll keep an eye on him for the weekend.

Do you think an anenome would give the clown just enough refuge that I could keep the wrasse? He is far more interesting to watch then the clown and firefish. He's always got something to do. Definitely type"A".

Thanks

Schaefer

Schaefer
01/28/2006, 06:04 PM
Sorry, should have addressed that previous reply to Jon Tarutis also.

Thanks

JonTarutis
01/28/2006, 06:54 PM
Schaefer-
Personally I would be leary of how this group would pan out over time. I've watched a twin spot chase just about everything it can in a 300 gallon reef... gobies, clowns, anthias and other wrasses. While young it had a pleasant demeanor, although once it began to mature the nasty temper started to show itself. What about a 4 line wrasse? Bi-color blenny? Not much else I can think of that will give you the personality of the twin spot but with a more pleasant demeanor.
good luck!
Jon

phishlet
01/28/2006, 07:58 PM
Twin spots are hit or miss. I just removed one from my 125 because he was relentless with chasing around my solar wrasse and gobies.

falconut
01/28/2006, 11:23 PM
I've got one in my 90. He's in with 2 Ocellaris Clowns, Royal Gramma, Pinkspotted Goby, Male Lyretail Anthius and doen't bother any of them.

When I first put him in, the clowns wouldn't leave him alone. It took a little while for him to stick up to them. And now they don't bother him. I've had him for about 8 months. HTH

Peter Schmiedel
01/29/2006, 03:04 AM
I have a spwaning couple B.bimaculatus which pester some of my cardinals. I would consider your observation as quite normal. In general Bodianus are more the rough guys.

Schaefer
01/29/2006, 01:31 PM
Thank you all for your replies. I will put him on probation and reserve judgement for a bit. I don't think that he will be easy to catch.

Schaefer

rich99rich
01/29/2006, 05:12 PM
I had one who chased every new addition in my tank, so I had to get rid of him. Catching him was pretty easy because he was such an aggressive feeder. When I donated him to the LFS, the employee made a comment as to how nasty those fish are.

phishlet
01/29/2006, 07:25 PM
That's funny. When I brought mine to the LFS for trade in they ended up putting it in a tank of its own because it was harrasing other fish at the store too.