PDA

View Full Version : cheap, and perfect clams

The Reefer91
01/28/2006, 10:00 AM
i eventually (when my tank is up) want to have some clams. they are so irresistible adn beautiful, i coudln't resist looking at them at the LFS

now, i don't think i can pay 100$ right away for a clam, so i considered online purchasing.
here are my choices. any comments would be great :)

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/derasa-clam-cultured---tridacna-derasa-clams.html
here's another

http://www.marinedepotlive.com/squamosa-clam-cultured---tridacna-squamosa-clams.html

The steven liu
01/28/2006, 10:54 AM
I think sqamosa and derasa are a good start for you as they aren't as demanding as others. The pricing seems to be in reasonable range, and if they provide a good warranty plan then I'd say go for it. Otherwise Drs. Foster & Smith also has some clams you can purchase for alittle more but comes with 14day warranty. If your clam dies within 2 weeks they'll replace or refund you. Which is nice for beginners.

smilinteddy
01/28/2006, 12:22 PM
A couple things to keep in mind...

1. Shipping costs... for the small derasa you're paying $31... awesome... but it'll cost you $35 additional dollars to have it shipped to you.

2. Small clams generally require supplemental feeding to survive. Since their mantle is still small, it can't produce enough energy from light alone.

After considering these things it might be better to get a slightly larger clam from somewhere near you so that you don't have to worry about shipping and survivability of your clam.

I'm sure if you need any help finding a good LFS in your area there are many reefcentralers or reef club members in your area who can help you out.

ChickenCannoneer
01/28/2006, 02:25 PM
My recomendation would be to get some clams from clamsdirect.com. i have gotten all 9 of my clams from them and i have to say that they have been perfect. you even get to look at what one you want. they are closed until the 30th but that is not a big deal. I would seriously look at them before you order from marinedepot.com. Hope this helps, Tim

The Reefer91
01/28/2006, 09:05 PM
thanks

phoenix
01/28/2006, 09:14 PM
I agree with the comments above - smaller clams are cheaper but are more difficult to keep. Deresa and squamosa are the easiest to keep. A couple of other vendors to take a look at is drmaccorals.com, phishybusiness.com and reefermadness.us

smilinteddy
01/28/2006, 11:42 PM
To add on to what chickencannoneer said, I have also heard very good things about clamsdirect.com. I didn't suggest them because they are closed as they move right now and so a lot of things on their site aren't running right now. I didn't want to send you there yet because prices are not up.

There is a very informative general info article about tridacnea clams by barry neigut, founder of clamsdirect.com, on www.wetwebmedia.com under the tridacnea clam are. it's a very good general overview clam article that you should check out prior to getting your clams. (something to keep you satiated while you wait for your tank to get up and running) :)

The steven liu
01/28/2006, 11:59 PM
I was actually pretty lucky with my selection of clams. The LFS in Madison area have very good prices for clams, I have gotten 3" electric blue crocea for as low as $25, 4" green squamosa for $30. So if you are patient enough I bet you can find some good deal near you.

coralfarmer84
01/29/2006, 11:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6609366#post6609366 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smilinteddy
A couple things to keep in mind...

1. Shipping costs... for the small derasa you're paying $31... awesome... but it'll cost you $35 additional dollars to have it shipped to you.

2. Small clams generally require supplemental feeding to survive. Since their mantle is still small, it can't produce enough energy from light alone.

After considering these things it might be better to get a slightly larger clam from somewhere near you so that you don't have to worry about shipping and survivability of your clam.

I'm sure if you need any help finding a good LFS in your area there are many reefcentralers or reef club members in your area who can help you out.

GREAT ADVISE :) couldn't have put it better