PDA

View Full Version : Reactors

daniel5455
01/28/2006, 11:32 AM
I have a 75 Gallon Reef Tanks and wanted to know what type of reactors should i use and why for this tank. I see a bunch of them but dont know what i should use.

thanks

SeanT
01/28/2006, 11:53 AM
The two major "reactors" in use would have to be Calcium and Fluidized.
The calcium is for obvious reasons, but if your tank does not have a high calcium demand then there is no need for you to spend the money on one.
The fluidized is for holding whatever type of filtration media you wish to put in it.
Two of the more popular ones are carbon (obviously) and iron based phosphate removers such as ROWAphos and Phosban.
You do not NEED this type either unless you are having PO4 problems then they can be a great aid in lowering your phosphates while you are figuring out where they are coming from and how to fix them.
Then, many including myself, still run them to lower PO4 as much as possible.

hth,
Sean

daniel5455
01/28/2006, 12:13 PM
I dont want to remember to add Kalk. My last water test the Ca was 450 and my Alk was 4.0. If i had to get a Ca Reactor what would you recommend? i perfer a small one cause i have little room in my stand.

SeanT
01/28/2006, 12:17 PM
That is not 4.0 dKh is it?

As for recommending, it depends on how much you are willing to spend.
Perosnally, I have learned through the waste of a lot of money it is better to spend a little more initially for quality and not have to buy again.

This is waht I recommend.
Or its bigger brother the JS-1 if you plan on upgrading.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=SCH-PICO&Category_Code=creactor

Sean

szwab
01/28/2006, 09:47 PM
might also want to check the GEO line of reactors very nice quality and efficiency.