PDA

View Full Version : question about prop system

nellahtes
01/28/2006, 07:06 PM
do i have to use a sump on my prop system? or could i use a canister filter or something like a penguin 330? it is 95% for sps.

chadscamaro
01/28/2006, 10:40 PM
I would recommend a sump, especially for more stability in water volume since sps can be finicky ! Tie it into your main system ?

reelheel
01/30/2006, 10:19 AM
socal1, sumps are great but not critical. With SPS especially they are very helpful, but you can have great success without one. Just keep the water clean, give plenty of flow, ample lighting and watch 'em grow.

tekknoschtev
01/30/2006, 05:55 PM
Here's my experience. And this applies to both display tanks and frag tanks alike.

I find sumps useful. In a prop system, they are a great place to put equipment that would otherwise limit the amount of space and/or the amount of light reaching the frags. It gives you more floor space to utilize. In general, it cant hurt to have a larger body of water in general because it adds stability to the whole thing. Now, that point is in my mind, somewhat moot in tanks larger than around 30-50 gallons from that aspect. Yes, the larger volume of water helps, but in my experience its only the very small tanks that really benefit from that aspect of a sump. Along with a larger volume of water, a sump gives you the benefit of having space for a fuge. Obviously, a fuge is subject to the same (its a good idea but not necessary) clause as sumps, but in my mind, it wouldnt be a sump without a fuge - but thats just me. Having a Fuge has its own benefits including the ability to grow out macro algae for nutrient export and a storage place for live rock which IS necessary in a frag tank (or any tank for that matter). Again, this is a benefit because of the limited realestate of the frag tanks, and because you can store the rocks in the sump, its a good way to gain space in the frag tank(s).

Now, that being said, it IS possible to run a successful tank without the use of a sump (display or frag tank alike). We have it on our 40T frag tank, and we lost about 1.5" of space front-to-back due to the HOB intakes for the skilter "skimmer", the HOB heater, and the return from our canister filter. Would I love to get a sump on that bad boy? Hell yeah, however, economically, and due to its location and current setup, it is not possible to do it. Also, the derived benefit of gaining 1.5" of space is negated by the cost of doing so (return pump, another tank, baffles, etc).

So, in the long run, I'd reccomend looking into using a sump/fuge, however, know that it CAN be done without one.

nellahtes
01/30/2006, 06:07 PM
thanks

nellahtes
02/01/2006, 09:42 PM
ok..do i need to run a skimmer on a frag tank if there is no fish?

tekknoschtev
02/01/2006, 09:45 PM
A skimmer is like a sump and applies with most everything I posted above. If you can, it'd be great, but you dont have to have it.

nellahtes
02/01/2006, 09:46 PM
k,thanks