PDA

View Full Version : Does Baking soda up the ph?

Panda1
01/29/2006, 07:51 AM
I have read that baking soda raises the ph to 8.0. But adding it at first lowers it then comes up. I currently mix my salt with R/O water and understand that over time my ph levels go down. Could someone let me now if this is fact or fiction? If it is true I wondered if i could just add it to my water when I mix my salt.

boxfishpooalot
01/29/2006, 07:59 AM
Yes baking soda will raise ph. At first addtion of baking soda there is slight ph lowering effect. The Co2 that is binded to the bicarbonate will become un-attached, causing the ph to lower a little then raise again when the released Co2 in the tank gets blown out. Either by protein skimming or just naturally at the water surface.

Anything that adds Co2 will cause the water to be lower in ph even though the alkaintiy is in normal values. You can actually lower ph to 4 if you added enough Co2. But baking soda does not have that much Co2 in it to lower ph that much.

Panda1
01/29/2006, 08:11 AM
So adding just a teaspoon and keep the protien skimmer on should do the trick? What about adding it to a 5gal water jug while bubbling saltwater(water change bottles)?

boxfishpooalot
01/29/2006, 08:17 AM
Yes it would raise ph,not immediately though. Possilby after a day, but if you want immediate ph raiseing effect(also note the alk will rise from baking soda) Bake the baking soda on a cookie sheet in the oven at 300f for 1 hour. This will drive off Co2 and water. Then when you add this to the tank, it will raise the ph alot immediately, rather than lower it at first.

But make sure you know how much to add exactly. Use this
calculator

http://home.comcast.net/~jdieck1/chem_calc3.html

Randy Holmes-Farley
01/29/2006, 08:31 AM
I have read that baking soda raises the ph to 8.0. But adding it at first lowers it then comes up. I currently mix my salt with R/O water and understand that over time my ph levels go down. Could someone let me now if this is fact or fiction? If it is true I wondered if i could just add it to my water when I mix my salt.

I think we can help better if we understood what you want to accomplish, instead of giving an exact technical answer to your question which may not actually solve your problem.

Does your tank or new salt water have low pH? If so, then adding baking soda is not a good way to go.

This article has more info:

Low pH: Causes and Cures
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-09/rhf/index.htm