PDA

View Full Version : Leaking Tank Maybe

Jackie Renuart
01/29/2006, 07:56 AM
Can a tank leak without leaving any salt lines?

Here's what is happening. Last night I was measuring my stand and noticed that the carpet on one side of the floor was wet. I checked inside and out of the stand and didn't see or feel any water. The only equip I use is a Prizm HOB skimmer and a filter. The side of the floor that the carpet is wet is the side that the skimmer hangs on.

2 months ago the same thing happened the floor was wet in the same spot but I did see the salt line at that point, so I replaced the tank made sure the stand and tank were level and started over.

Just a little more info, the original tank that I started with I had used as FW for 4 years in the same spot and had no problems with leaks, that same tank is now sitting on my deck (for lack of deciding what to do with it) and holds water but doesn't leak.

If anyone can offer their advise on whether it's the tank or skimmer I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jackie

ReefNeck
01/29/2006, 08:04 AM
From your description I would defiantely be watching that skimmer. Mine has done that once or twice but only when I forget to turn it off when I turn off the Return pump from the sump and my sump/fuge fills raising the water level and causing the skimmer to overflow.

This may not be your case but I still think it sounds like the skimmer doing the leaking.

oyam123
01/29/2006, 08:23 AM
skimmer?
smell the wet spot.

Jackie Renuart
01/29/2006, 08:55 AM
Found the problem. It is the skimmer. It's leaking at the neck. I'll replace the O-ring later today and see if that corrects the problem. If not new skimmer for me (just the first step in planning my upgrade hehe).

Thanks for the help.

Jackie