PDA

View Full Version : AquaC EV-240 Skimmer Questions

alm502
01/29/2006, 08:19 AM
I have an EV-240C with the Iwaki 60 upgrade that I have had running on a 210-gal for almost a year. It has been getting a little skimmate out, maybe a 1/2 cup or so a week max. I thought that was maybe because of the light bio load (5 chromis and a few corals, plus snails and crabs. But even after adding in a few anthias, not much skimmate. The skimmer is outside the sump with the return above the water level, unimpeded. The hose from the pump to the skimmer is about 4 feet long (gonna shorten this tomorrow)

So, I think I figured out I had the water level too high. But....

Yesterday I lowered the water level to about 1/2 inch below the platform per the instructions (with the airvalve closed, and then opened the air valve all the way, plus removed a small plug I had plugging the speed-airlift valve (a suggestion from AquaC to try when I set it up). So now, I have foam again, but pretty much only up to the bottom of the tower (bottom of the tower, not the collection cup). THis morning the foam is a little below half way up the tower.

Does this sound normal and the foam will rise over the next several days up to the collection cup, or does something sound wrong?

Before, with the water level up a couple of inches into the tower, I would get a foam at the top of the tower and up into the collection cup, and I would get a fat ring of thick gunk around the inside top of the tower. But the simmate I would get into the collection cup wasn't much at all. Rarely did I get enough to reach the collection cup overflow outlet.

I hear great things about this skimmer and how it should be producing "cups of skimmate" a week. But mine has never done that. Am I set up right now and just need to wait, or should the foam and water level be up higher nto the tower?

Tnx,
Rick

Fernando Chang
01/29/2006, 02:10 PM
Rick, unfortunately I can not help you with yr concern. the reason I replied to yr thread because I am in the process to purchase the Aqua C EV240 skimmer for my 150 gln tank. Marine depot have recommended to use the Iwaki 30rlt with a valve to control the pressure. At this moment I am trying to obtain as much as information I can abt the performance of this skimmer.
Why you don't approach Marine Depot for their advice ?
pleased to hear yr comments !
thanks.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

alm502
01/29/2006, 09:36 PM
With all the people out there using AquaC's, I am surprised there has not been more input.

I got my skimmer at MD as well. I have the Iwaki pump upgrade, but I am not sure if it was the 30 or the 40 as the upgrade. I think mine is probably the 30. The manual lists a 40 as an upgrade, but as I remember, when I bought it I asked AquaC about the difference and they told me they found the 30 works better.

There is a John Guest speed lift valve on the 240 to be used for the output from a calcium reactor. That way, the skimmer can blow off any excess C02. I had asome air issues in the beginning, and AquaC recommended plugging a piece of 1/4 tubing and plugging that off. This is how I have ran it the whole time. But when I re-adjusted it yesterday, it seems I get more foam with that unplugged. So, that is how I have it now.

But still, the foam is not completely up the tower, so I still do not know if it is running right. I sent an email to AquaC today, so hopefuly either they respond tomorrow, or else someone here replies.

Rick

Fernando Chang
01/30/2006, 11:22 AM
Rick, thanks yr comments and I will purchase the EV240 with the Iwaki 30rlt and will be in touch.
thanks again.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

alm502
01/30/2006, 08:59 PM
UPDATE:
I heard back from Steve today from AquaC's customer service. It was great that he responed the same day that he got my email.

He told me that they have rewritten the owner's manual to recommend runnng the water level at the top of the skimmer box now, instead of the lower level beneath the internal platform. He sent me the new manual to take a look at. (I love customer service!!). He said you could even run it an inch or two higher than that, depending on how wet you want your foam.

I am sending him an email back to see if they still recommend plugging the speed lift valve if you are not using it. That seems to inject more air as long as you keep the water level low enough that it does not close off that valve's intake.

Steve's feeling was the the light bioload in a 210 gallon tank with as much live rock as I have (300+ lbs), the deep sand bed and the maintenance schedule along with the filter system I have is probably why there is not that much skimmate.

So, sounds like I did have the water a little too high to start with and will see what Steve has to say about opening the speed-lift valve.

Fernando,
I'll say that the AquaC's reputation is that you have to be patient in between adjustments, and be willing to mess with it until you get it dialed in. But from there it works great. I have to agree with that view. I think you will be happy with it if you take your time and stick with it. And thr customer service is great!

Let me know how it goes.

Rick

Fernando Chang
01/30/2006, 09:07 PM
Rick / Fernando !
thanks to copy the msg from Steve and yr comments below. I will purchase the EV240 with Iwaki 30RLT and I will let you know the result/outcome.

thanks again.

Regards
Fernando Chang
Panama

johnEbravo
01/30/2006, 11:43 PM
I have the ev-180 and ran into the same problem. couldn't figure it out, it was working great for awhile and then quit. turns out that there was a layer of crud almost completely blocking the air intake BELOW the fitting. I would open the air inlet all the way and look inside, and it looked fine. When I took it out it was completely coated with 1/16" of crud that blocked all but the tiniest bit of air. Maybe that's the problem.

exo
02/04/2006, 09:45 PM
Ha guys! I have one too. A 240, ive messed with for 2 years now. It works like a steam engine now. I ajust the water level to the lower plate with the gate valve. Next i have a rlt 40 pump, the 30 didnt do the job...Next I leave the air valve all the way open, then start closing it down so it doesnt flow like lava out the overflow cup. One note of up keep. Put a corse mesh over the intake to the pump. Clean the air intake once in a while, it gets calcium restricted. When nothing else works take the pump apart and clean the impellers they get algea in them and production slow. Good luck.

jawwad19
02/08/2006, 10:49 PM
How long does it usually take for the skimmer to really "kick in" I just got my ev180 yesterday and its givin me the same problem you guys are having. The foam just collects underneath the collection cup. When I was using an ev120, that thing rocked, loads of skimmate.

KAiNE
02/08/2006, 11:08 PM
I got an EV240 w/Iwaki 40RLt.
I get on average a half a gallon of good dark skimmate a day. Mine is mounted external, 3' above the pump which is at sump level. I run it wide open, air and drain.

Main issue I find is keep the air nozzle clean. I get salt buildup and it will reduce skimmate fast. Second.. keep it clean. Buildup at the top of the column reduces skimmate. I go no more than 2 days between cleaning for maximum skimmate. If I need to go 3 days, I'll turn the gate valve 3 turns on day 2.
Also, make sure you clean the cup's drain elbow fitting, this will maximize air flow.

For instance, I just cleaned mine... in 2hrs, the cup is half full of dark foam (Pepsi or Coke colored), actually the entire cup is foam!!

IME - Bioload doesn't effect it like you think it might. If you have a tank full of LR and you put water straight from the overflows into it (dirty surface skimmed), you should get good skimmate production, at least a cup a day.

jawwad19
02/09/2006, 12:39 PM
Well its been about 2 days since I hooked this skimmer up, and its acting funny. Very incosistent. The water doesnt look as clean as it used to when I was running my ev120, which was a monster. I hope this thing really kicks in within the next few days.