PDA

View Full Version : Skiiimer Craazzzyyy!!! Ahhh

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 12:40 PM
You guys Im about to go NUTS with skimmer possibilitys...

I am getting a 210gallon setup soon...

I currently have a 75 and REALLY REALLY need a better skimmer on it for now!

I want to go ahead and get my skimmer for the 210 but keep being presented with alternate possibilitys.. and virtually NEW to the skimming world of possibilitys Im really really confused... the mroe research I do, the worse it gets!! AHH!

I was going to get a ASMG4X on my 210... which I would run on my 75gallon for the time being, to break it in, help with removing crap etc...

But they are EXPENSIVE!!!

I then was presented with ETSS SUPER SKIMMERS
I think they are either downdraft or Needlewheel

So my question is

WHICH IS BETTER?

A downdraft Skimmer or Needlewheel???

I have heard GREAT things about needlewheels, but not much on Downdraft... so thats why Im asking

tell me what you think guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tkeracer619
01/29/2006, 12:52 PM
I was going to go with asm untill i got a killer deal in my corallife ss. Anything ASM is good if not better than most. If you have the cash just get teh ASM you wont have to ever wonder if it could have been different.

I heard the larger downdrafts work.

tkeracer619
01/29/2006, 12:55 PM
ASM are big can you fit that into your sump?

PatMayo
01/29/2006, 12:55 PM
I don't have much experience so I don't know how much I can help you. I too have heard good things about the needlewheel skimmers. I just set up a 90 and have a ER RS-100. It produces bubbles up the gazoo. It skimmed pretty good at first set up but has not skimmed much after that. Good bubble production and all.

The tank has only been up 4 days and thusfar only have curred liverock in it. I just don't think there is anything to skim yet.

Regards,

Pat

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 01:42 PM
ASM are big can you fit that into your sump?

Thats what Im worried about

Yes I will be able to fit it in my 210gallons' sump, which will be a 75gallon tank

but NOW, having a 75gallon the sump is only a Tidepool 1
which I dont think a ASMG4X is going to fit in...

so I would simply just make another "sump" to fit it in and plumb it to the main display... SEE?

tkeracer619
01/29/2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah thats what i was wondering about. If your gonna make a new sump for the asm and the 75 go for it. I have never heard anything bad about them and that 75 will have ultra clean water.

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 03:24 PM
and that 75 will have ultra clean water.

LOL... too clean indeed... I wont be running it for long periods...

That size skimmer on that size tank would make the water too clean...

I have Gonis and Alveopora... LPS and Softies, some SPS... but the goni's and Alveopora wouldnt appreciate that nice clean water too well!

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 07:07 PM
BUMP

d.can82
01/29/2006, 08:59 PM
I'd go with the ASM. The super skimmers from coralife seem great, but not for the future 210 down the road. Just not big enough. As for the downdraft, much more energy consumption then a needlewheel of the same size. Also, you can use an overflow to feed the nw, cutting down further on the energy. As unorthodox as it sounds, you could also go with two smaller ASM's on the same system- so you can spend on one now and use it in the space you have, then spend on another later and use both on the bigger tank.

poppin_fresh
01/29/2006, 09:13 PM
I second the ASM line. I just bought one (G2) and I just brought it online today (after break-in) and it is already starting to produce a lot of foam. I have a felling I'm going to be emptying the collection cup often because it works so good.

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 10:29 PM
So two smaller ASM's do the same on the 210 as a big on?

so two ASM G3's would do the same as a G4X?

robsmith32
01/29/2006, 11:33 PM
dunno, I have a g3, and its commonly regarded as there best performing model. I'd say 2 x G3 would be probably better, you could clean them on alternate days. And one would be always working optimally. Just remember, you'll curse them if you don't have them in a seperate stable section of the sump. A lot of people say 8" deep, If ran mine between 8-10" it really didnt' do much, at 13-14", it kicks in. At least, is the experience i've had with mine. I'd say don't bother recirc and put in seperate section of sump and its good to go.
2 x G3 would cost more than the g4x, but you could get one now, and one later to ease the burden.

of note, my g3 skims better since I added a 3" pvc couple at bottom to 3" with 1.5" tee, with the 1.5" side of tee covering the input hole to the skimmer with the angle downward. With this addition, it starts foaming back up right away after cleaning, instead of several hours later, and don't have to tweek the airflow with the pvc in it, as without it. Foam head is much more stable.

I've seen CSS hooked to LFS system, and needless to say, they don't compare with a G3.

scooter86
01/30/2006, 11:26 AM
I have an ETSS 900 on my 180. It is a downdraft skimmer. So far I like it.

p4ck37p1mp
01/30/2006, 12:16 PM
Hehe, there are SO many options, a lot of them good. I just ordered a MRC MR-2, after looking at AquaC, ASM, ER and others. Mainly I had had plenty of flow from my pump, so I was wasting the power anyway and had flow to drive it to spare. It came down the ASM and MRC in the end, for me anyway.

Medicine Man
01/30/2006, 01:55 PM
Just my 2 cents...I have had both a Euroreef Recirculating skimmer (forgot the exact model) and an ETSS 900 on a 180 gallon. The extra $5 per month in electricity is worth it. I have the separate collection container that you can buy from ETSS and it is nearly full every week (Yes, dark green skimmate that smells up the entire house). My Euroreef was very good also but it just does not compare (IMHO). I cleaned the collection cup on it about every four days and would dump about 2 cups worth of nasty stuff. Just my experience....

Shawnts106
01/30/2006, 09:28 PM
Thats about what it has come down to to me as well

Its either

ETSS SUPER SKIMMERS
or
ASM G4X

Is the ETSS SS a downdraft or NW?

which is better?

scooter86
01/31/2006, 09:10 AM
ETSS is a downdraft skimmer. It works best with the pressure rated pumps that AE Tech recommends. I use an Iwaki 55 on my 900 skimmer. Check out www.superskimmer.com

Shawnts106
02/01/2006, 09:51 PM
Thanks for the LINK, I am well aware that downdrafts are good... but they are not ran on needlewheels

would it be better if a ETSS SS was ran on a needlewheel???

let me know what you guys think! :)

Shawnts106
02/02/2006, 01:55 PM
bump

scooter86
02/02/2006, 02:32 PM
I'm not quite sure that I understand your question. Down draft skimmers produce foam by injecting water under pressure from a substantial pump into a cylindrical tower that contains a number of bioballs. The water crashing into the bioballs is what creates the foam. Air is drawn into the tower as the water rushes down the tower. There is no need for a needlewheel, as the foam is pdoduced by a completely different principle. Downdraft skimmers do not utilize needle wheels, nor do they need to.

Shawnts106
02/02/2006, 02:36 PM
OH! I see... thanks for that!!

So the QUESTION still remains...

and that is

... I think Ill start a new thread for this one! :)