PDA

View Full Version : Favia Brain Funk? *Pics*

StinkinTuna
01/29/2006, 01:43 PM
What is this under my favia brain? Is it necrotic tissue?

I noticed this 'spongy' white film under my favia brain a few months ago but have just waited to see if it spread or not...well recently I noticed this dark blue coloration growing around the mystery substance....what is all this?

Is this a sign of the favia brain dying or regenerating?

Should I remove the stuff or just let it be?

The rest of the brain looks good, its coloration is the same green as when I first got it (about 1 year ago) though I havent seen any tentacles or sweeper come out of it for a long time..

Anyone know about this?
Thanks!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Charles4400/brain1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y152/Charles4400/brain2.jpg

wrott
01/29/2006, 01:59 PM
It looks like a sponge. If Favia tissue was dying, it would peel off the skeleton in stringy shreds. I have the same nuisance sponge in my pipe organ. On this brain you should be able to scrape it off--until it regrows.

StinkinTuna
01/29/2006, 02:17 PM
Will the sponge harm or hinder the coral? Or is it just an eye sore?

I've got an Organ Pipe too and should I remove any sponges around that too or just let it be?....if the sponge doesnt harm it I would prefer to just leave things be unless/untill it prevents my coral from growing...

Thanks!

sharkboy
01/29/2006, 02:19 PM
can't tell if that's the skeleton or not, but it looks like sponge.

wrott
01/29/2006, 02:31 PM
In the pipe organ, the sponge looks like it could over-grow polyps, but it will be hard to remove sponge w/ out fragging into 100 pieces and i think the sponge would still come back. If it was my Favia, I would remove as much of the sponge material as possible since new polyps form at the boarders of the existing skeleton, but i really do not believe it would harm the brain to leave it as is, unless sponge started to over-grow ployps.

StinkinTuna
01/29/2006, 02:52 PM
Great thanks Wrott appreciate the info!