PDA

View Full Version : My Clam Is Pulsing - Any Ideas?

Maldivan
01/29/2006, 08:25 PM
Hi All ,
Let me start by saying this is my 1st Clam so I have no idea what hes doing and infact it may be normal. Ive had a look at the forums to see if anyone else has seen this but I couldnt find anything so here goes:

I bought an Electric Blue Small ( 4" across ) Tridacna Clam today from my neighbor. When I got it home and acclimated it to my tank I put it in a low flow area of the tank and in the sand. I have 2x 250W MH ( 10 K AB's ) He soon started Pulsing : His mantle would go in completely then he shoots a puff of water from his lower section - blowing sand everywhere. Well he did this for an hour or so every 2-3 mins so I moved him to some rocks becuase I figured he didnt like the sand. He did the same thing on the rocks, and infact he blew himself off the rocks 2 times. I re-placed him in the sand where he has continued this behavior. Its been about 9 hours since if had him. Any Ideas or is this normal?

Thanks!

The steven liu
01/29/2006, 08:41 PM
I've never have a clam sniff that many times in that short of a time. when my clam sniff it's either something got into its gill or it's been scared.

kfisc
01/29/2006, 09:19 PM
It sounds as if it is irritated; I'd leave it in place- moving it about stresses the animal, making whatever else is going on worse- then closely watch for anything you may notice, such as small snails, crabs, etc.

It also may be struggling to acclimate to higher intensity lighting, or differing tank parameters-

Maldivan
01/30/2006, 10:37 AM
Hi All and thx for the replys. All seems to be well this morning as the Clams mantle is fully opened and he has quit this behavior. He was just probably doing as you said kfisc.... stuggling to acclimate to the new conditions. I only acclimated him for 30 mins or so before he was put directly into the tank. Thanks again!