PDA

View Full Version : I think I figured out a DIY cheapo Wavebox!!!

Shawnts106
01/29/2006, 08:51 PM
Hey I just thought of an Idea for a CHEAPO wavebox ...

its simple, just modify a MJ900 or 1200 whichever you like with the Hitchhikers guide to MJ modification or whatever

simply create a box useing Acyrlic... figure a way to mount it and at the bottom of the box on one of the faces, not the base create an opening...

then take the modified MJ and put it into the box facing UP!

put it on a 2 or 3 or whatever long second timer and that should work

it would push water up into the box and then when its off the water would drop back down into the tanks water level...

do you guys think its possible???

so far its an Idea... blank canvas!

alpine
01/29/2006, 09:03 PM
with some tinkering,I bet something like that could work.Just not sure if a mj would have enough power for it,but who knows.

6Speed
01/29/2006, 11:42 PM
Someone recently posted a wavebox they made out of a small plastic trashcan. They said it worked. I don't know if yours would work, but for some reason I always thought that the tunze boxes let water in the top and sprayed it out the bottom?

kgross
01/30/2006, 12:03 AM
It should not take a very large powerhead to make a wave box, the biggest thing is to get the timing down. Actually I saw where one person made one using float switches to controll the pump. The key is to get the wave box to cycle with the frequency of the wave so it makes it larger every time it goes off, rather than to try and force a wave of a set frequency. So depending on where in your tank the wave box is mounted and how long the tank is the wave frequency will vary.

Kim

hahnmeister
01/30/2006, 01:21 AM
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=6431090#post6431090

I tried that already. Very hard to get the timing right.