PDA

View Full Version : Fish doesn't look right, need help diagnosing problem...

PuffersKick
01/30/2006, 09:22 AM
I have a black puffer that I've had for a little over a month now. Last night when I went to feed I noticed that he looked a little "splotchy". It's hard to explain. It's NOT white spots like ich, it kind of looks like he's just got dry skin or something. I will try to take a picture of him when. I have noticed that he has been sitting behind the rocks (his spot) more than usual recently, but when I feed he comes right out and eats. And he acts pretty normal other than the way he looks.

Right now I have him in a 100 gallon with another puffer, lion, and trigger. I think this might be part of the problem because the tank is small and he might be stressed. But this problem will be taken care of this weeked b/c I'm upgrading to a 215. I'm also putting a bad boy UV sterilizer on the new tank.

But for the time being are there any ideas on what this might be and what I can do to treat this?

Gobie
01/30/2006, 09:36 AM
I never kept a puffer but I do a lot of reading. Is it the slime coat you are seeing? Are you treating the tank with copper? Puffers don’t do good with copper treatments from what I have read. if i remember correctly.

thereefmaster
01/30/2006, 09:54 AM
They don't do well with formalin either.

PuffersKick
01/30/2006, 10:07 AM
I treated the tank with copper about 8 months ago, but not since I've had the new guy. And I've done several water changes and had my skimmer running so I doubt there is much if any copper still around. I'm thinking/hoping it's just stress related and all will be better once I move them into the larger tank.