PDA

View Full Version : Ready to start.

Medic415
01/30/2006, 10:17 AM
I have been debating this for quite some time now, but I think it is time to start. I was initially going to try to start up a little reef in a 10gal. to try to get my wife interested and eventually add a bigger system. I was talking to my neighbor and he offered me a 20gal. tank that he had laying around, from reading here I do understand that small tanks or more difficulty, but I am always up for a challenge. Figured bigger is better. Live rock and sand is not a problem, found a LFS who has a large supply of both. He doesn't seem to stock alot of other equipment and I figure I may be able to purchase other equipment cheaper on line. So what I am asking is for some suggestions on a shopping list of other equipment needed, like filtration...power filter yes or no what do I pack in it, protein skimmer-sounds like a must=do I get both or one or the other. Lighting...would like to start with some of the more hardy corals, and probably 1 or 2 small fish cleaners of some sort or a pair of clowns, with a light cleaning crew too.

So if anyone has suggestions please compile me a list, check it twice and let me know. Also I would like vendor specific suggestions, gives more to choose from, I know everyone has their own preferences.

Thanks, Mike.

Shooter7
01/30/2006, 11:35 AM
[welcome]

Hi Mike. I run a 10 gal in addition to my large tank and have had it for over a year. I run one small powerhead in it for circulation. I also run a small HOB power filter, not so much for filtration because I seldom put a bag in there, but I have found that if I don't have something to break up the surface (no overflow drain either) that I develop a film on the surface that looks bad and impedes light, as well as oxygen exchange. I do not run a skimmer. There is no nuisance algae in this tank at all. I have found that weekly, or at least biweekly, water changes are key. I do probably 20 - 30% water change. Have one small fish in there and multiple small corals and it does fine. A skimmer would be nice, and I'd probably say something like an Aqua C Remora on the tank you're describing, but I think you could probably get away without having one if you do your water changes and keep your fish load low. Good luck. :cool:

NewSaltyReefer
01/30/2006, 12:24 PM
I also am starting a 20 gallon reef and am currently curing my live rock! The best suggestion I can make is to go out and buy Mike Paletta's The New Marine Aquarium. I have found this book to be invaluable; it teaches the basic needs for a saltwater aquarium, plus helps with fish selection. And it gives you enough info to ask important questions on this site, instead of:

"How much table salt do I add to my aquarium to make it saltwater?"

And yes this question has been asked, I saw it on a "worst questions ever asked by a newbie" thread. I wish I could find it for you because it is histerical, but the search is not working...AGAIN!

I purchased all of my equipement from Drs. Foster & Smith (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Shop.cfm?N=2004). They have good prices and a GREAT return policy.

I hope one day our tanks will rival some of those I see on this site! Race you to the finish:D

Medic415
01/30/2006, 12:38 PM
I'm thinking your a little ahead of the me, didn't buy anything yet, getting my taxes done Thursday, when I get my return any left over after my wife is done is going toward this mission.

NewSaltyReefer
01/31/2006, 07:12 PM
Just a warning as to how addicting this hobby is; I recently found myself wanting something faster than overnight shipping!!

Good Luck!:)