PDA

View Full Version : vodka to kill aipastia


djcool563
01/30/2006, 04:11 PM
Hello i was messing around with my tank today and saw a aipastia and i didnt have an kalk or anything so i have heard of people dosing vodka so i figured it wouldnt hurt the tank. So i injected it with a little bit of vodka and it seems to have killed the thing instantly. Now i want to know if what i did will hurt my tank or not. thanks

djcool563
01/30/2006, 05:49 PM
has anyone done this before?

ReeferAl
01/31/2006, 10:09 AM
An interesting idea. One thing to remember is that the dose of vodka used is very small. There is even less leeway than with kalk.

Allen

deansreef
01/31/2006, 10:14 AM
the dose for the aptasia or for the person should be small???

Pandora
01/31/2006, 10:16 AM
People dose vodka (for other reasons than the above)?? Reef tanks, that is, not for use in a Bloody Mary...

Travis L. Stevens
01/31/2006, 10:18 AM
Be extremely careful dosing vodka. This super boosts your bacteria with simple sugars causing them to multiply rapidly and use up a lot of available oxygen. It doesn't take much vodka at all to cause this. But, the benefit is if you didn't over dose, and you kept this up, you might be able to reduce any ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates. But be careful, I had dosed and found that my soft corals did not like it at all. Many mushrooms and zoos shriveled, and I almost lost my Xenia. A few LPS also didn't like it but quickly recovered to their former glory. I would advise against using this to leisurely kill aiptasia though.

michaeldaly
01/31/2006, 10:23 AM
Most peaople dose it in very small quantities to reduce algae in the tank

Pandora
01/31/2006, 10:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6631857#post6631857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by michaeldaly
Most peaople dose it in very small quantities to reduce algae in the tank

Interesting...

I too considered the issue of it decomposing into simple sugars. This is why alcoholics often have beerbellies.

Wiskey
01/31/2006, 10:39 AM
Be VERY carefull with vodka, 0.2 ML per 50 gallons could even be too much before the system gets used to it!!!! If you don't have a really good skimmer you could cause other problems because all the breeding bacteria will suddlenly run out of food, at that point it needs to be already out of the system.

I would not reccomend trying this unless you do some serious reading, and understand the risk.

The breeding bacteria could also use up all of the O2 in the water causing a tank crash, especially if you have a high bacteria load (DSB). There are safer ways to kill aptasia for your tank.

Not trying to be rude, just inform,
Whiskey

djcool563
01/31/2006, 12:42 PM
Ok thanks guys hopefully i did not use too much but this is a new tank so hopefully if something does go wrong with it it shouldnt be horrible as i only have 2 small corals in it right now.

dragonyze
01/31/2006, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6631920#post6631920 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pandora
Interesting...

I too considered the issue of it decomposing into simple sugars. This is why alcoholics often have beerbellies.

LOL, that AND we're notoriously lazy, at least, i know i am. Maybe I'm just a drunk, i think alcoholics have go to meetings.....
sorry this is off topic
cheers!
:beer: