PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on flow for a 200g

Benny Z
01/30/2006, 05:17 PM
I'm setting up a 200g and need input on pumps.

I'd like to send ~1,000gph (at about 10 ft head loss) through the sump. What would be a good external return pump that would be energy efficient?

I'd like another ~3,000gph on top of this, either by way of a closed loop or a Tunze stream. I'd prefer a closed loop for asthetic reasons, but do like the not-so-direct current that the Tunze seems to provide. I also like the efficiency of the Tunze. What would you recommend? Is there a good external pump that would run a closed loop as efficiently as a Tunze or pair of Tunze?

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

dougchambers
01/30/2006, 05:36 PM
Ben,

For your closed loop, I would take a look at a Sequence pump tied to an Oceans Motions 4-Way. The 4-way works well to create a more diverse flow pattern and the Sequence pumps are pretty efficient. We run a 4200SEQ12 on a 4-way for our 135g display.

Personally, I'd consider reducing the flow through your sump. At just over 16gpm (1000gph), you run a higher risk for micro bubbles being introduced into your display tank. It's also a lot of flow if you plan to integrate a refugium.

-Doug

Benny Z
01/30/2006, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the advice. I'll check out the 4-way. I had been leaning towards a sequence pump to begin with.

I had planned to integrate a fuge into the system, but I will have a fish room behind the tank and can utilize a separate container for the fuge and limit flow through it.

About how many gph would you recommend through the sump? It will just house some liverock, the heater, and the skimmer.

Speaking of heaters... what would you recommend for this system? Total water volume will be in the 300-350 gallon range.