PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Fish Books?

Tobman
01/30/2006, 05:30 PM
Can you all recommend the best books to learn about aquarium fishes and their care?

Thanks.

AllenFord_SC
01/30/2006, 05:34 PM
For fish in general or reefs as a whole?

· The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Volume 1) by Julian Sprung
· The Reef Aquarium: A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tropical Marine Invertebrates (Vol 2) by Julian Sprung
· Ultimate Marine Aquariums: Saltwater Dream Systems and How They Are Created by Michael S. Paletta
· Reef Invertebrates: An Essential Guide to Selection, Care and Compatibility by Anthony Calfo
· Aquarium Corals: Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History by Eric H. Borneman
· The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner
· The New Marine Aquarium: Step-By-Step Setup & Stocking Guide by Michael S. Paletta
· Reef Secrets: Starting Right, Selecting Fishes & Invertebrates, Advanced Biotope Techniques by Alf Jacob Nilsen
· Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium by John H. Tullock
· Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson
· Natural Reef Aquariums: Simplified Approaches to Creating Living Saltwater Microcosms by John H. Tullock
· Book of Coral Propagation, Volume 1: Reef Gardening for Aquarists by Anthony Rosario Calfo
· Algae: A Problem Solver Guide (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung
· Corals: A Quick Reference Guide (Oceanographic Series) (Oceanographic Series) by Julian Sprung
· Marine Fishes: 500+ Essential-To-Know Aquarium Species (The Pocket expert Guide Series for Aquarists and Underwater Naturalists, 1) by Scott W. Michael
· The Reef Tank Owner's Manual: A Practical Guide to Establishing and Maintaining a Coral Reef Aquarium by John H. Tullock
· Clownfishes and Sea Anemones: Everything About Purchase, Care, Nutrition, Maintenance, and Setting Up an Aquarium (Barron's Complete Pet Owner's Manuals) (Paperback) by John H. Tullock

Thos eshould keep you busy for a while.:thumbsup:

kamil5000
01/30/2006, 05:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6626275#post6626275 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by AllenFord_SC
For fish in general or reefs as a whole?

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist: A Commonsense Handbook for Successful Saltwater Hobbyists by Robert M. Fenner

I've read most of the books on the list. To begin with read the one above. Very clear and relevant.

AllenFord_SC
01/30/2006, 05:42 PM
LOL that is about half of my library. I have read each one about 6 times cover to cover. Great books and full of info.

kamil5000
01/30/2006, 05:47 PM
I'm glad Julian Sprungs Vol 3 is out (receiving it in a couple of days). Otherwise, I too would have probably memorized these books.

Tobman
01/30/2006, 05:49 PM
For fish in general. I currently have and have/or am reading:

The Reef Aquarium Volume 3
The Marine Aquarium Reference: Systems and Invertebrates (somewhat outdated)
Aquarium Corals : Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History

AllenFord_SC
01/30/2006, 05:51 PM
Make sure to get a good book on water chemistry. This book has saved me in many situations:
Water Chemistry for the Marine Aquarium by John H. Tullock

jimbo045
01/30/2006, 05:59 PM
The Marine Aquarium Problem Solver : by Tetra Press very easy to use book.

bertoni
01/30/2006, 06:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1890087386/reeflink/102-3323252-4476960

That book is a good, concise reference for a lot of fishes. The author has a series of books, all of which might be interesting to you.

AZDesertRat
01/30/2006, 06:44 PM
Dr. Burgess's Atlas of Marine Aquarium Fishes Mini Edition.

Paintbug
01/30/2006, 07:12 PM
Marine Fishes Pocket expert Guide by Scott W. Michael for info on just fish this is a great book. i also have the invert book from the series.