PDA

View Full Version : ammonia spike

PacificBlueReef
01/30/2006, 05:49 PM
I am thinking about getting 2 small/medium black percs. In my ten gallon quarintine tank with nothing but pvc hideing, how fast would the ammonia/nitrite climb? (with sparce/moderate feeding)

My question is this, would a water change of a gallon a day be enough to keeping everything in check for 2 weeks? If not how much water per day should be swapped?

The reason I ask is I have run out of testing supplies for ammonia and nitrite. I have everything else to keep water parameters in check (ph and nitrate tests, refractomer, temp.) I know that it might not be the best idea with out the test but the circumstances don't give me a choice.

Thanks,
PacificBlueReef

P.S. temp of 78-80, specific gravity 1.025, ph 8.1

Beverly
01/30/2006, 07:58 PM
Please cycle the tank first before adding any fish.

MarinaP
01/30/2006, 08:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6626418#post6626418 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PacificBlueReef

My question is this, would a water change of a gallon a day be enough to keeping everything in check for 2 weeks?

Sounds reasonable.

Have a seeded sponge filter ready to use after 3 days in bare QT. Be prepared to discard the filter if you end up medicating with copper, antibiotics, etc. Brook will show up before day 4 :(

Beverly
01/30/2006, 08:57 PM
In the event you have to discard the filter, I'd be prepared to do 50% water changes daily. Water can foul quickly in a 10g with two fish :(

PacificBlueReef
01/30/2006, 09:43 PM
Beverly and MarinaP thanks for the input!

MarinaP- For one are you talking about brooklynella? Two I don't have a sponge filter prepared for QT. Just alot of premixed saltwater.

Beverly- I have a 55 gallon that has been cycling for at least 3 months now so no worries. But the QT is what im worried about. The fish im intrested in are between 1 to 1 3/4 inches each you think that a 50% water change would be necessary every day?

Thanks to both of you and to anyone else that can help!!

Thanks,
PacificBlueReef

Beverly
01/31/2006, 10:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6628544#post6628544 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PacificBlueReef
Beverly- I have a 55 gallon that has been cycling for at least 3 months now so no worries. But the QT is what im worried about. The fish im intrested in are between 1 to 1 3/4 inches each you think that a 50% water change would be necessary every day?

If this was my 10g tank with no biofilter and two fish of the size you describe, to be on the safe side, 50% water changes daily is what I would do. I would even be prepared to test for ammonia every 2-3 days, and be prepared to possibly do two 50% water changes a day at times.

I would also make sure I siphoned out any food or waste matter on a daily basis to lessen the amount of ammonia-causing stuff in the tank.

Ammonia is very toxic to fish, even at .5 ppm. I would not take the chance of QTing fish and possibly treating them for some sort of disease only to have them sick of ammonia poisoning on top of it all.

Even if the fish were not showing signs of brook, ich or bacterial infection during your QT time, ammonia itself can do much harm or even kill your fish if not properly controlled.

JMHO.