PDA

View Full Version : Best way to supplement essential elements?

gsxrguru2
01/30/2006, 06:07 PM
Just picked up some of the Kent Essential Elements today at petsmart and was wondering if this is a good way to keep everything in check when I do water changes? Is it better to supplement everything individually, such as magnesium? Thanks!

Blown 346
01/30/2006, 06:21 PM
You answered your question with keeping everything in check with water changes. With normal water changes you will replace the essential trace elements that the tank will need/use.
The only time I would add or dose anything would be if you had alot of demanding corals. I would test the levels that you think you want to replenish with additives before you add any to the tank to see if the tank is needing them.

gsxrguru2
01/30/2006, 06:26 PM
Well that will certainly simplify things. The whole process of keeping certain chemicals at certain levels is very daunting right now that I'm getting started with everything. In your opinion, what should be tested for regularly? I'd assume the list would include calcium and alk, but what else? magnesium? Also, how often would you recommend these things be tested?

Blown 346
01/30/2006, 06:30 PM
I test every two weeks, when I check I check for Calcium, Phosphate, hardness, PH, Nitrite, Nitrate, Ammonia, Alk.

Paintbug
01/30/2006, 06:36 PM
its better to not suppliment anything. espiecally with out testing! the only thing i (and many others) add to the tank is some kind of calcium(2 part, Kalkwasser, etc.). i use Randy's 2 part myself. weekly water changes will take care of all the rest. once you get the tank going and start adding corals you will need to test your calcium, and Alkalinity, weekly and about once a month your magnesium. then you may add anything thats needed. some salts are low in magnesium so you may need to add it from time to time. things like iodine, strodium, etc. are best left to being added with water changes. heres a good article that will explain what each element does for the water. (if you havent seen it before) http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=764574

you guys got ahead of me :D. i test nitrate, PH, calcium, and Alk atleast weekly. once your tank has cycled there really isnt a need to test ammonia or nitrites. i test magnesium monthly. if i start having algae problems i will test for phosphates as well as nitrates.

gsxrguru2
01/30/2006, 09:33 PM
Hey paintbug, thanks for the link.... however, its the link to this thread :) if you can find the one you're refering to I'd definitely appreciate it. Thanks!

Paintbug
01/31/2006, 10:38 AM
dont know what happen LOL here http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

gsxrguru2
02/01/2006, 06:26 AM
Thanks for the link, there is A LOT of helpful information there!