PDA

View Full Version : sailfin tang goen crazy........

adjr221
01/30/2006, 10:08 PM
I have started my 150g tank two month ago. Started out by two damsels and kept them for a month. Last week I added two clowns, and they been doing good. Today I got a powder blue tang, and sailfin tang. The powder blue doing good so far, but the sailfin tang went crazy when the lights were tuned off. It started jumping up and down like mad and then laid down on the sand like she died. And when I turned the light back on she started swing around for a little bit and then settled down again….. so I took it out and it seems like ding now……..

What has just happened???????????
Water conditions are good nitrate, nitrite, ammonia are zero. pH 8.2, specific gravity 1.022, temp 80…

Cutiewitbooty
01/30/2006, 10:45 PM
do you have liverock? How did you cycle the tank, with the damsels......? I doubt this is the problem, but personaly i would raise the salt to about .023-.025, i keep mine at .025.

bertoni
01/30/2006, 10:56 PM
Powder blue tangs are pretty aggressive and territorial, and it might have harassed the sailfin at some point. That's not a certainty, but well within reported behavior. You also might have gotten a sick or injured fish. I'm not sure whether sailfins are particularly hardy, and the tank is fairly new.

3S1K
01/30/2006, 10:56 PM
Mine does the exact same thing exept it just swims around most of the night,Its like it doesn't have territory in the tank.I also have a Yellow Tang and they fight every once in awhile but usually are ok together.I have rearranged the rocks a few times to make sure they all get new homes but it still seems the same.The Sailfin is a more dominant eater and eats alot.

bureau13
01/30/2006, 11:04 PM
The Red Sea Sailfins (z. desjardin) seem to be quite hardy and...I don't know if I'd say aggressive, but damned assertive. Mine doesn't take crap from anyone, but it usually doesn't go out of its way to bother anyone either (with the exception of a dwarf angel that it immediately took a dislike to for some reason).

jds

adjr221
01/31/2006, 09:14 PM
i don't think the fish are bothering one an other. what i am really trying to figure out if there is any relation between the light and the crazy behavior.

thanks a lot...

ACBlinky
01/31/2006, 09:21 PM
Did you turn off all the lights at once? Sometimes it can frighten fish to be abruptly thrown into darkness or bright light, you may have just spooked him with a sudden change. I have my lights on timers to turn on and off gradually at the same time each day, it seems they get used to the routine - now the corals start to close up and my wrasse finds a hole in the rocks and hides for the night just before lights out.