PDA

View Full Version : Alternative to $20-$30 bags of sand online?

Nano_reeflover
01/30/2006, 11:08 PM
Hello! Can someone please tell me a cheap source of aquarium sand? I have heard that there is cheap "tropical playsand" at Home Depot. Is this true? Thanks in advance!

-Travis

reefshadow
01/30/2006, 11:31 PM
I see you are in washington as well. I don't think we have any calcium based sand at any hardware store in washington, but I have used quikrete medium silica sand with great success. It is very white and fine, perfectly safe as well. I actually like it better than aragonite, in fact. It seems "heavier", doesn't get blown around as much. It comes in a brown bag, 100 pounds.

:)

Nano_reeflover
01/30/2006, 11:44 PM
thanks! I have been reading and I have seen some people use something called Southdown play sand from Home Depot. I think I'll have to look into the Quikrete sand too. I have a question for you reefshadow. Can you tell me of any reef clubs, groups, etc. in WA?

Thanks, Travis

reefshadow
01/31/2006, 01:12 AM
hey, Travis-

Yeah, southdown is nice but afaik, not available in Washington. It's simply too far from the quarry site to justify them shipping it here.

In your area the psas (puget sound aquarium society) is GREAT. I think dues are only 30 or 40 bucks a year and you get discounts to some area lfs's, cheap water from the seattle aquarium, etc. They have pretty regular events and are very supportive.

They have their own forum on www.reeffrontiers.com , i'll see if I can link it for you in the next couple of days. You can find people in your area who are buying/selling and just get some close support.

I wish I was over there, but i'm in Wenatchee, so a looong trip for me.

:)

reefshadow
01/31/2006, 01:25 AM
http://www.reeffrontiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8

Jfoster33702
01/31/2006, 08:18 AM
Ive got a ton of southdown. Probably 50 gallons worth. Too bad you're not in FL.

Nano_reeflover
01/31/2006, 10:31 PM
"They have their own forum on www.reeffrontiers.com , i'll see if I can link it for you in the next couple of days. You can find people in your area who are buying/selling and just get some close support."

Thats great, thanks!

"Ive got a ton of southdown. Probably 50 gallons worth. Too bad you're not in FL."

I called my local HD today and they said that they carry something called Old Castle which I've read is part of or similar to the Southdown brand. I'll have to go check it out this weekend.

-Travis