PDA

View Full Version : Best Overflow For Non-Drilled Tank

XtrmCHoPZ
01/30/2006, 11:38 PM
I have a 125 un-drilled glass tank that I will be adding a sump to. Problem is I am not sure which overflow box to use? SOS, CPR. other? I know I will have to maintain it very well. Drilling is not an option. I have seen the SOS in operation and it looks ok...? PLease offer your opinion.

CaptainDave
01/30/2006, 11:41 PM
I have a Lifereef overflow, and it's been great. I've heard good things about the Amiracle overflows as well. The CPRs scare me.

The Lifereef has a second chamber such that the U-tube is always submerged so it doesn't lose a siphon.

www.lifereef.com

gill7784
01/30/2006, 11:53 PM
Contrary to the popular sentiment on RC, I love my CPR. Indeed, people have reported instances of malfunction, but there are equal numbers of success stories.
I use a Aqualifter pump on mine to eliminate air acumination and I enjoy flow rates capable of handling my Mag 9.5 return. As with any aquarium product, maintenance is the key to success. Surely, if you allow algae to plug the vent tube, you will be on your way to a horror story. I clean mine as part of my monthly equipment maintenance and alternate 2 Aqualifters. The Aqualifter not in service is easily disassembled and cleaned, restoring it to factory new operation.

Here is an obscure image on my CPR in action. Note the Aqualifter situated on the tope of the unit.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/98414Wave_Controller.jpg

Danger731
01/31/2006, 12:13 AM
Lifereef

luvtolean
01/31/2006, 12:35 AM
I don't love my CPR, but it works OK I guess.

Definately use an aqua lifter, maintain it, and definately keep a spare around.

I can't wait until I'm back into a drilled tank again though. (this tank was "free".

outy
01/31/2006, 12:48 AM
cpr is fine its low maintanance compared too u tubes

u need the pre filter u need aqualifter below the display tank so that syphon works most of the time this will extend the life of everything so there are no worries once setup right cpr is fine

if you want trouble free and constant work get a u tube setup i had that for 7 years plus now i like my cpr

XtrmCHoPZ
01/31/2006, 02:31 AM
I checked out the lifereef overflows and they look great but theyre kinda expensive. I know the CPR's are cheaper. Would it even be worth getting one or not? I have no problem doing maintenance but just how much is involved??

I want the dual model and the CPR is 100 bucks cheaper than lifereef. Does it perform $100 cheaper?

Avi
01/31/2006, 06:02 AM
All I can add is that I've had two Amiracles going on my reef for years now, and they're trouble free and silent...utterly silent. They are less expensive than Lifereefs, so they may be just what you're looking for.

sjm817
01/31/2006, 06:41 AM
Lifereef. Stay away from the CPR. You will note that The LR needs nothing to keep it working, and the CPR needs an external pump to keep it working. LR has the (earned) reputation for being the most reliable overflow in the industry. CPR has the (earned) reputation for being the most unreliable.

I've run Amiracle, LR and CPR. The Amiracle, and LR both are extremely reliable. The big difference is the LR outflows the Amiracle by a mile. A Mag5 maxes out an Amiracle. The CPR was horrible. The air nipple clogged twice in 3 months.

As far as price goes, the LR is a little more, but like most things in this hobby, paying a little more gets you the quality you want. I have no regrets on my LR overflow, Deltec skimmer, Tunze Stream, Eheim return pump, OM Squirt. All of them cost more than the products they replaced. In every case, I wish I had just bought the best to begin with. It would have been cheaper.

luvtolean
02/06/2006, 04:07 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6629932#post6629932 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by XtrmCHoPZ
I checked out the lifereef overflows and they look great but theyre kinda expensive. I know the CPR's are cheaper. Would it even be worth getting one or not? I have no problem doing maintenance but just how much is involved??

In your quote for the CPR, include the cost of 2 Aqualifter pumps. They aren't real expensive, but if you're using money as the factor, get everything on the table.