PDA

View Full Version : No more anemone

Saber
01/31/2006, 12:04 AM
Came home tonight to find my anemone clingling for his life onto the side of the aquarium but loosing the battle to the intake of my Tunze 6000 wavemaker. When I removed the head of the pump he was half in half out. I tried to free the anemone from the inlet screen. I thought I almost had him worked out when he basically tore in half. I think his chances for survival are slim to none. I don't have an alternative tank to let him heal in. I won't be putting him back in the tank. While I am greiving the loss of the anemone, in a lot of ways I am relieved. He was forever roaming sometimes the length of the tank in a day. I was constantly having to move my corals around the tank to accomodate his moving. Seemed like it was on a daily basis. It was stressful. I won't have another one. Be interesting to see how the 3 Percula clowns react. Right now they seem lost. Their home for the last year is gone:

Danger731
01/31/2006, 12:12 AM
sounds like he wasn't happy any way.

Saber
01/31/2006, 12:41 AM
Suprisingly, I thought he was doing quite well from a health perspective anyway. A few months ago I struggled through a few weeks of not so good water quality after I got a little too busy for a period of time and neglected to add much alk/ca product to the tank. At that point the anemone looked very unhealthy. He was retracted, lacked color, but surpisingly stayed put on the glass in one place for close to a month. After correcting the water issue he spread out nicely, regained his color, and unfortunatley became overly mobile. I know he was looking for a better place in the tank, but had covered it at least 10 times over and never settled down. I am not sure he would have ever found a settling place.

TippyToeX
01/31/2006, 12:42 AM
I agree, if it was roaming it doesn't sound like it was happy in the first place. What kind of anemone was it? If it was a BTA there is a good chance with the right conditions it can make it. :)