PDA

View Full Version : Filterdirect told me ".026 is not bad". . .

Teremei
01/31/2006, 05:51 AM
I called them with a concern that the first time I used the filter for comparison sake I used one container of RO and filled another with freshly treated water with their unit. The RO tested .002 total disolved solids. The RO/DI treated water tested .001.

After doing various things (testing my tank water, other water sources) I came to my next big water RO/DI creating for cooking some base rock. I ran it a little warmer since all cold water was created significantly slower than advertised. It tested around .046 PPM. I went ahead and used it anyway since it's only for live rock.

Today I called them about this and he had me fill up a small cup with RO/DI. It tested .026, and my RO tested .002 in comparison. I do not agree with them, I do not think it is "OK". . Because heck I got the thing so it would be BETTER than my store bought RO ventures.

I told him I did run it a little warm last time and he said warm tends to have more minerals in it. So next time I will run simply cold water hoping to accheive that coveted .001 PPM next time. But instead of 4.5 gallons each hour it's more like 2.5 gallons per hour.

Anybody have any thoughts on this? Is it true the warm water could be the cause? Should I just accept it takes me 1.5 hours to fill up a 3 gallon bucket?

twkenny
01/31/2006, 06:18 AM
There are a lot of things that determine how much water your RO/DI unit will produce. Pressure and temp are probably the largest factors.
What is the TDS of your input water? Also...be very careful running warm water through it. I'm thinking anything over 90 is no good for the membrane...not sure about that though.
I'd suggest getting a larger container and a float switch. Let it run at night or whatever so you're not watching it. Watching your unit priduce water is like watching grass grow.....

Teremei
01/31/2006, 06:28 AM
the "warm" water was only like 80. I'll have to look into the float switch. First I want to make sure cold water brings it back down to acceptable levels. I'll take your advice on that float and larger bucket though!!

twkenny
01/31/2006, 06:37 AM
I actually have a big trash can with a float set where it makes 24 gallons, which is the amount of water the first two sections of my sump hold. I let it fill, mix in salt, and do a water change the next day after it mixes well.
I'm also making a 5 gallon bucket with a float so I can fill up a container used to top off a tank my wife has in her classroom. I was using the big one, but it's easy to forget it's running. The 5 gallon bucket will be perfect.
Your filterdirect unit has an auto-shut off valve built in, so don't buy a whole "kit." All you need is the float.