PDA

View Full Version : If i wanted to restrict the return flow...

wojo
01/31/2006, 08:22 AM
... do i just need ball-valve B or both. Will gravity redirect the flow on the T connector or i have to restrict it using valve A ?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/47713restrict.gif

Sorry about bad drawing :D

Thanks

wickerj
01/31/2006, 09:03 AM
The drawing was just fine.
If you want to restrict the flow going back into the tank you only need the one ball valve (A). I'm not sure why you would need line B, but I'd put a valve on it as well.

reverendmaynard
01/31/2006, 09:21 AM
It looks like he's trying to get the pump at max flow, while restricting output of A. The remaining flow goes through B.

I would think you could probably get away with just the valve on B, since that's the easiest path for the water (pipe size being equal). Personally, I would build it with both just in case. For the extrat $5, it saves you the possibility of having to rework it later, possibly wasting other fittings in the process. You can use the valve on A to stop back-siphoning during planned pump stoppages, if nothing else.

wickerj
01/31/2006, 09:26 AM
My concern is if you restict A, the flow thru B increases. In your drawing you show a fuge, if you increase the flow thru B you'll probably have to much flow in your fuge.

kel5944
01/31/2006, 09:29 AM
Valve A isn't necessary with what it looks like you are trying to do. Having valve B only would allow you to regulate flow to the display without restricting pump flow.

reverendmaynard
01/31/2006, 09:39 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6631064#post6631064 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by wickerj
My concern is if you restict A, the flow thru B increases. In your drawing you show a fuge, if you increase the flow thru B you'll probably have to much flow in your fuge.

This is a good point. Unless you feel you have inadequate flow through the fuge now, I'd redirect B right back into the return chamber.

wickerj
01/31/2006, 09:44 AM
well, I don't think I'd put B back into the return chamber as that will cause turbulence in the return chamber and lead to micro bubbles getting back into the tank.
If that was my setup I'd put a valve on B, leave it closed and use that line as a drain for water changes.

wojo
01/31/2006, 09:44 AM
I dont know, the pump is MAG5 @ 4 feet it pushes around 300GHP, i need to restrict it a little more so that might not create enough flow in the fuge. I hink the more flow through the fuge the better right?

reverendmaynard
01/31/2006, 09:47 AM
Not necessarily. I believe 5x per hour throughput is optimal for macroalgae. What kind of overflow are you using that can't handle 300gph?

wickerj
01/31/2006, 09:48 AM
You have a 55 gallon tank right? You shouldn't need to restrict a Mag 5. Why do you feel the need to restrict the pump, if it's only returning about 300 GPH?
No, you do not want more flow thru your fuge/sump. You want a slow flow thru it.

reverendmaynard
01/31/2006, 09:50 AM
What I would do with B, and what I have done with my setup, is use the extra flow for a remote dsb in a bucket. Could also be used to run a small skimmer.

I'm just starting to doubt that there's really gonna be a need for reduced flow at all, so there won't be enough flow through B to do anything useful.

wojo
01/31/2006, 09:55 AM
i have CPR CS-50 (rated 300gph) it works fine but sometimes my level in the main tank raises, it doesnt overflow my tank but it just scares me, lol

i have no idea what it causes it, i have aqualifter on it 24/7 and this thing is clean too, nothing that should slow it down or something...

Wojo.

wickerj
01/31/2006, 09:59 AM
I've never used one, but the CPR HOB overflows have a bad rep on this board. I've heard good things about the lifereef overflows and there are always some for sale in the BST forum.

piscivorous
01/31/2006, 10:03 AM
So ultimately, it sounds like he is just better of putting both valves on there, just in case. Right?? I will have the same setup...minus the refugium. I kind of like the idea of using B line as a line to do water changes...I'll have to think about that a little bit more...I'd like to keep it pointing back into the sump for the most part...but if I could make it so I could easily attach a line to it for water changes...hmmm.......

wojo
01/31/2006, 10:05 AM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/47713overflow.gif

Figure A. is how i want it to be, it skims the surface and for the most time it's the way it is.

Figure B. sometimes it goes that high and nothing really change maybe i added some topoff water to the sump but the level in the tank should stay the same, right?

hope this explains the issue :)

piscivorous
01/31/2006, 10:24 AM
My guess would be just that...too much pumping back from the return line, and your overflow can't handle it fast enough.....back off the pump, or get a better overflow.....just my guess.

wojo
01/31/2006, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6631423#post6631423 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by piscivorous
My guess would be just that...too much pumping back from the return line, and your overflow can't handle it fast enough.....back off the pump, or get a better overflow.....just my guess.

but if the overflow couldn't handle the flow it would not have worked fine for most time, right? it would not have worked at all and overflow my tank at the begining...

RichConley
01/31/2006, 12:26 PM
Are your drain lines under water in the sump? It sounds to me like you're getting some back pressure when you top off your sump.

PuNkUuP
01/31/2006, 12:48 PM
Restricting the flow in line A is a bad idea. The pump will work harder to get less flow that way. It is better to divert more flow thru line B. This will reduce flow to the display tank. You may want to put the refuge on the right side and put line B to the middle section.

wojo
01/31/2006, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6632379#post6632379 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by RichConley
Are your drain lines under water in the sump? It sounds to me like you're getting some back pressure when you top off your sump.

yes, the drain line from an overflow is about an inch in the water in my sump...

wojo
01/31/2006, 03:06 PM
^