PDA

View Full Version : finding a dead fish

J_Geisinger000
01/31/2006, 08:53 AM
my freind lost one of the damsels he put in his tank but cant find the body?

how will this effect his water qaulity if he doesnt get it out?

pretty sure its dead been missing for about 4 or 5 days

J_Geisinger000
01/31/2006, 08:54 AM
it was in a 75 gallon tank

AdidaKev
01/31/2006, 08:58 AM
In a 75 a dead damsel might not affect the water quality too much, but it's best to get the body out if he can find it. Anything dead and decomposing in the water (including excess food, etc.) will cause the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to increase. See if he can siphon in and around the rocks to try and find the body.

coralnut99
01/31/2006, 10:30 AM
Depends also on the size of the damsel, and the variety of detrivores in the system. Nasarrius snails can consume a small damsel with astounding speed.

Airman
01/31/2006, 11:02 AM
It is all fish food now.

viceversabrd
01/31/2006, 11:30 AM
If there are any hermits in the system they will also quickly locate and consume a dead body
viceversabrd

So Cal shaggy
01/31/2006, 11:40 AM
if it has been 4-5 days since it dissapeared it has been eatn for two days probably I have had fish look fine when I went to bed and the next morning I have found that same fish dead and the body 1/2-3/4 eaten within 8 hours

Mscott203
01/31/2006, 11:52 AM
Yeah, I just lost a 5 inch blue jaw trigger. One night before we went to bed hes was looking a little sluggish, next day he was missing, and the next day I had to go searching for him. I saw all of my xenia looking really bad and figured the water quality was being poluted by what was probably a dead fish. It had been about 36 hours and I finally found him under a large rock (had to rearrange everything in the tank to find that) he was nothing but bones and a small bit of flesh hanging off of him. Euggh, when I netted him out along with all the crushed coral around him he stunk like nothing ive ever smelled before. I did a 10% water change and all including xenia is fine now.
I was wondering if there isn't an easier way to locate a dead fish too. But now I know, Just look for where all the hermit crabs are at or are heading to.