PDA

View Full Version : internal parasites, Clownfish

Cutiewitbooty
01/31/2006, 09:32 AM
I was wondering what the signs are for internal parasites. My clown just seems to swim in one spot, just constantly going up and down. I have also noticed this stringy clearish stuff hanging out of his butt, so i'm thing it might be parasites. What could i do to cure it, or do i just have to wait it out? I was thinking maybe garlic? Here is a pic, i'm really not trying to gross out anyone out lol

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b316/Amber1983/DSCF2110.jpg

sawillia
01/31/2006, 10:46 AM
Amber,
Do you by chance have blonde hair? It looks like a hair is it possible he ate a piece?

iCam
01/31/2006, 10:50 AM
Looks like poop to me :)

Cutiewitbooty
01/31/2006, 10:57 AM
i do have blond hair, but it's clearish, it really looks like a long clear worm (thats what i thought it was at first lol) It is still there though, its just hanging there, eww

jeffbrig
01/31/2006, 11:20 AM
Stringy poop can be a sign of intestinal parasites in clowns. Many breeders will tell you this is very common, and would recommend a preventative treatment to all clowns in QT before adding them to your tank. Can't remember the name of the suggested medication though (pipzine?), take a look in the anemone/clown forum, there may be something in their FAQs.

(I don't see a whole lot of booty in your cartoon pic) :D

moses13
01/31/2006, 11:21 AM
I believe my fish also are afflicted with internal parasites. I am trying garlic (fresh) as there is some evidence that it may be an effective dewormer due to the allicin in it. I am also trying an antiparasite food that I found at Petsmart, Active ingredients: metronidazole 1%, praziquantel 0.5%, and levamisole 0.4%. It was the only food with praziquantel I could find.

Cutiewitbooty
01/31/2006, 11:40 AM
I'll have to look into that stuff. I think i'll try the garlic first and see what happens. Do your fish act funny to or just the stringy poop?

moses13
01/31/2006, 01:48 PM
See my thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=761103 for how I came to that conclusion.

HVF21221
01/31/2006, 06:01 PM
Pipzine was widely used to treat internal parasites but it is off the market. Alot of people are using Seachem metronidazole, it comes in a 5gm. vial. All of these type medications can only be used in a QT so the fish needs to be removed.