PDA

View Full Version : What fish will not eat pods or leave pods alone?

jacmyoung
01/31/2006, 11:04 AM
I have noticed my sump is totally clear of any microalgae on the sand surface or glass walls, even though it is lighted 24/7 with 60w of daylihgt on a 12"x12" area. I then realized the thousands of pods in the sump are keeping the algae at a minimum, the pods even clean anything on my cheato, allow cheato to grow freely.

The same of course is not true in my display tank. My green chromis consumes any pods that dare to enter the tank. I begin to wonder are there any fish that will leave pods alone? Regardless if the fish is reef safe or not, if you can name a few I'd really appreciate it.

The first fish came to my mind are tangs and trigers but I have no proof they don't touch pods.

SeanT
01/31/2006, 12:21 PM
Lawnmower Blenny's.
Chevron Tang
Yellow Tang
Any herbivore really.

brandonberry
01/31/2006, 12:27 PM
Dead fish don't eat pods. LOL Larger predatory fish like groupers obviously don't eat pods. The best thing I have found is, rather than trying to eliminate pod eating fish, just provide more hiding spaces for pods. I took a lot of old shells and dead coral frags and piled them in certain crevices in my live rock. This gives pods a place to go where fish can't get to them. At night when the fish are asleep, the pods will creep.

jacmyoung
01/31/2006, 12:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6632736#post6632736 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SeanT
Lawnmower Blenny's.
Chevron Tang
Yellow Tang
Any herbivore really.

I guess any angels or butterflies will be out of question then.

I agree providing more hiding spaces will help, but if there are any number of pod-eating fish in the tank, the pods' population will be kept at a level that the pods will have little impact on algae or waste removal. The fact that my sump is so clean of microalgae is because pods literally cover the sand and glass surfaces and microalgae has no chance to establish.

Will trigger fish go after pods?

brandonberry
01/31/2006, 12:53 PM
I would think so. Most fish with a pointed snout are adapted to picking pods from crevices. Fish with more blount faces may eat pods, but won't be devouring them like a mandarin or a butterfly.

jacmyoung
01/31/2006, 08:31 PM
BTW, will anthias eat the pods that are crawling on the sand bed?

SeanT
01/31/2006, 09:15 PM
Anthia's will eat anything they can get their grubby little fins on. ;)
Be forewarned though, Anthia's are active fish with insane metabolisms and need to be fed multiple times a day.

Sean