PDA

View Full Version : Clown Fish Stange Behavior

Mike 1911A1
01/31/2006, 12:51 PM
I am very new to the hobby and recently added two clown fish to my tank. They seem to be doing fine but every once in a while, they have this strange twitch. Their whole body jerks. Is this normal? I have never seen fish do this before.

brians_224
01/31/2006, 12:54 PM
hi -

Does one do it or both? Its likely a sign of submission. During the pairing process, one will become dominant over the other. The less dominant will shimmy and shake in the presence of the dominant. I'd say likely normal.

Check out the stickies in the clown forum - you should find information on the pairing process and this behavior.

Good luck!

zimmy1979
01/31/2006, 12:55 PM
I believe it is a maiting thing. Mine do it and I have heard of many other clown fish doing it.

Mike 1911A1
01/31/2006, 01:11 PM
What's strange is that one is bigger than the other and it's the bigger one that I see twitching more than the smaller one. I'm beginning to find out that clowns are very interesting.

Paintbug
01/31/2006, 01:18 PM
its all part of the mating dance :D the larger one is probably the female as well.

TekCat
01/31/2006, 01:22 PM
hm... I think mine both juveniles(sp) and both are doing the dance. I don't think they are mating, could it be that they are still in process deciding who is going to be dominant one?

Paintbug
01/31/2006, 01:31 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6632746#post6632746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TekCat
hm... I think mine both juveniles(sp) and both are doing the dance. I don't think they are mating, could it be that they are still in process deciding who is going to be dominant one?
probably so! theres some good info on clownfish and their breeding in the fish breeding section.

larrica
01/31/2006, 01:53 PM
Pay very close attention. I don't want to alarm you, it could very well be what they say above however................

When I first got my 2 clowns. One of them was very active, and would frequently twitch like that. The next day he seemed to be breathing heavy. The day after that he was dead. 3 months ago.

I just had a Tang die for no reason I could find,*( had him for 3 weeks ) then my Remaining clown started the twitching thing, as I looked closer I noticed the little white spots all over him. Not sure it if was Brook or Ich but he recieved a fresh water dip and now lives in a hospital tank until I am sure the main tank has run its course.

Again it may be nothing, but......... just keep an eye on em.