PDA

View Full Version : How do you QT your inverts?

miztic
01/31/2006, 12:38 PM
Well, I learned my lesson, from now on we're QT-ing everything.
so my question is, how do I QT my new coral additions? what kind of lighting will keep them happy for at least 6 weeks ..
I've got a 12" deep 20 long tank as the designated QT tank, do you think some pc or vho lights would be ok?

ofcourse it all depends on what I plan to keep, right now its mostly LPS, but I may very well move into SPS soon.

and what about snails? I wouldn't expect them to survive a sterile QT tank for 6 weeks, feed them nori and mysis?

so, what do you do?

reefshadow
01/31/2006, 02:58 PM
I don't :)

I would, as I have reached the same conclusion you have. EVERYTHING LIVE that goes into your reef should be quarantined for the concept to work. But spendy for sure...

I guess the way to go would be to set up a separate tanks for q'ing fishes and corals/inverts. This would get spendy and is one of the reasons I haven't done it (yet). The Q tank for corals/inverts would have to have sufficient light, flow, live rock, etc.. to be a reef tank in its own right, but would not work for fish if you needed to do hypo, copper, ect.

I think pc's or vho's would be fine, you are basically setting up a nano. Snails should be ok with some live rock from your display to feed off of.

The thing I don't really like about the idea (besides expense) is that you could only buy a new coral or invert(s) every 6 or 8 weeks, as each new addition to your Q reef is going to nullify the quarantine! So if you are four weeks into it and go to your lfs for (insert dry good) and see (insert great new coral, invert on sale), if you buy it and place it into quarantine you are back to square one.

In addition I take the controversial point of view that quarantine for fish is somewhat overrated. In the years I have been into this hobby, I have lost fish in my display to disease, but ONLY when the parameters of my display were off or something was highly stressing the fish (bullying, ect) . I have also added fish that had a few visible ich cysts to a healthy display with my resident fish and guess what? It had no visible cysts within a couple of days and my other fish were not infected! So my conclusion has been: A healthy display and minimal stressors= fish that are not effected by ich or other diseases. Quarantine in its own right can be stressful to fish as well imo, it's not a very good replication of their natural environment and they have to endure an extra move and adaptation.

I'm sure there are those who would strongly disagree with me. :)

An interesting side thought to me is that fish are effected by parasites and disease in nature but seldom succumb to them unless there is an added stressor. It doesn't make much biological sense for a parasite or disease to kill the host, it is an inefficient way to continue the cycle. So fish obviously shrug off parasites and disease often.

JMO!!!

:)

The Reefer91
01/31/2006, 03:30 PM
i sm going to Qt my fish but probably not the inverts. simply because, in a large tank, it would take you years to fill the tank. it's not that i'm inpatient, but i'm not sure it's orth it

miztic
01/31/2006, 03:41 PM
the problem is that a tank is not natural, the ich has a much better chance of infecting a host as it does in nature, I think thats a big reason why ich kills in our home setups.

good idea about using the LR from the main tank, that'll make it a little easier to qt corals etc. although i'm not sure they even need the LR.

ich is ofcourse not the only reason to QT corals, flatworms, red bugs, coral eating nudibranches etc. you don't want to introduce those into your tank either right?
I'm not buying corals every week, so for *me* i think the 6 weeks would be ok, and if there is a sale or a 'gotta have it' coral, I think i'd take the hit and extend the QT of everything, or maybe cut the QT that is currently going on short by a couple weeks, depends on how long it's been going on I guess.

great info, keep 'em coming :)

thanks

reefshadow
01/31/2006, 04:46 PM
the problem is that a tank is not natural, the ich has a much better chance of infecting a host as it does in nature, I think thats a big reason why ich kills in our home setups.

True that a reeftank is only an approximation of a natural environment, but I still believe that ich in a captive reef will generally only kill when other stressors are present. That has always been my experience.

ich is ofcourse not the only reason to QT corals, flatworms, red bugs, coral eating nudibranches etc. you don't want to introduce those into your tank either right?

Soooo true! At least in quarantine you would be able to sometimes spot them and remove them.

i sm going to Qt my fish but probably not the inverts.

Yes, but what about pathogens and free living ich that can/will be present on live rock, corals, inverts; especially coming from lfs systems that have a high turnover of sick/stressed/crowded fish? The whole reason for quarantine is negated if quarantine isn't observed for every organism. This hobby is always evolving and just because "that's the way it has always been done" doesn't make it 100% correct.

Again, just my experience and ideas/opinions. :)