PDA

View Full Version : Can I reuse sand after 4 months?

DOBryan
01/31/2006, 02:41 PM
I moved my tank to my new house 4 months ago but didn't set my sump/refugium back up. The refugium had a 4" dsb and has been sitting in about 6" of water since the move. I am now going to rework the 'fuge setup and I'm wondering if I can reuse all, part, or none of the sand.

Thanks in advance. Darrin

jarhed
01/31/2006, 02:44 PM
I'd clean it out with fresh water and dry it. I did the same with sand that I had left over from my 40gal. It's in the tank now. Seeds right up no problem.

j0tca
01/31/2006, 02:45 PM
I've left sand in bucket half full of bleach for over 6 months then rinsed it well with fresh water and used it, no problems.

DOBryan
01/31/2006, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't know if it's relevent but the 'fuge was full of pods, worms, snails, and the like. Will rinsing the sand be enough to rid it of all the carcases?

jarhed
01/31/2006, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6633995#post6633995 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DOBryan
Thanks for the quick replies. I don't know if it's relevent but the 'fuge was full of pods, worms, snails, and the like. Will rinsing the sand be enough to rid it of all the carcases?

It should be. I didnt even think of that when I did mine. I actually used a metal screen strainer to strain out all the rock chunks and junk before I dried it. I dried it in a rubbermaid bin in the sun after straining and rinsing, turning it over every day for about three days.

Went right in the tank after that.

chrismunn
01/31/2006, 03:02 PM
i tried that, but after a few months of the sand sitting in still water like that it started to build up hydrogen sulfide. very toxic to living things! you'll know if your sand has started to build it up though, its black and smells like rotten eggs! i ended up baking the sand on a cookie sheet over the stove top and rinsing it a few times, letting it dry, and then rinsing it again

reverendmaynard
01/31/2006, 03:07 PM
If you give it a final rinse in some vinegar or other acid solution, it should eat the outside surface right off (I'm assuming it's some form of calcium carbonate). One more rinse with fresh tap water, and you should be good to go.