PDA

View Full Version : Why, why cant I keep snails?

DiggerDave
01/31/2006, 06:32 PM
Ok, 90 gal
Sal. 1.025
Temp. 80
Cal. 400
PH. 8.3 blah, blah, blah
All my corals, fish, shrimp, clams are doing fine and have been for along time.
My water is always right on, I have a auto top-off that keeps the sump+- 1/4", 20 gal. fuge and I do 10 % water changes weekly.
So why do I have 50 dead snails in my tank?
I have turbo's, nassa, ect. and everytime I add some about 2 weeks later they end up dead.
Any help??

LOTUS50GOD
01/31/2006, 06:36 PM
do you have any crabs or aggressive starfish (brittle star) in the tank???

Is something hunting them

mmgm
01/31/2006, 06:37 PM
Do they fall over on their backs and can't get up? I have some Turbo snails that can't get up once they fall off a rock... After a few days they die.... (or the crabs get them when they are on their backs)

"Help I've fallen and I can't get up".......:D Just kidding on that comment.... could'nt help myself....:D

All kidding aside tagging along for this one.....:D

DiggerDave
01/31/2006, 06:41 PM
I have hermits but I just add them a few weeks ago. I did have a very large Sallyl-ightfoot, I got rid of him and my snails still die off.

DiggerDave
01/31/2006, 06:42 PM
When they do fall I turn them over the same day, I never let them go mor than a fwe hours so I dont think that is the promblem.

LOTUS50GOD
01/31/2006, 06:46 PM
You can expect to lose about 30% of your astria (sp?) snail population to over turning.... unless you have a ton of rock and not much sandbed.

DiggerDave
01/31/2006, 06:51 PM
I have alot of rock, but no sand just crushed coral.
Also my skimmer runs great, is there such a thing as a tank being
to clean for snails??
I know Im grasping here

Mariner
01/31/2006, 06:57 PM
Also my skimmer runs great, is there such a thing as a tank being too clean for snails?

BINGO!!!
Especially if you have FIFTY snails. :eek1: It would have to be a very dirty, algae ridden tank to support that many astrea/turbo snails. Stocking levels for these for a typical tank that has other cleaners (like hermits) should be about 1 snail to every five or ten gallons of water. I'm pretty confident that yours are starving to death.
HTH,
Mariner

cc3
01/31/2006, 07:01 PM
i had the same problem after i treated with myacin for ich. i learned the hard way that mercury stays in the live rock for a long, long time. any snail or crab that would crawl across the rocks would end up dead.

Mariner
01/31/2006, 07:07 PM
cc3,
I wondered if it could be some kind of metal poisoning too (residual copper, mercury, etc.), but since he doesn't mention losing any hermits so far, I thought starvation more likely.
Mariner

fishdoc11
01/31/2006, 07:41 PM
Do you allways get the snails from the same source?

ACBlinky
01/31/2006, 07:42 PM
If they're lasting two weeks or so and then dying, I have to agree with Mariner - sounds like they're starving (kudos to you for having such a clean tank!). I work at a LFS and often have customers complain that their large FW mystery snails died after a month or so, it nearly always turns out that they have a very clean tank with nothing for the snails to eat.
I love turbos, and keep 8 big guys (~1 1/2") along with a few Ceriths and a handfull of Astraeas in my 65g. There's not much algae for them to eat so I throw nori in the tank regularly. Last night I put half a sheet in (4" x 4" or so) and it was gone within two hours! It's amazing to me just how huge their appetites are.

mike89t
01/31/2006, 07:58 PM
Nassarius Snails eat left over meaty foods and will not touch algae. If not a lot of meaty foods makes it to the sand bed these snails will starve to death quickly.

Also I'm not sure if Crushed Coral is a good substrate for these guys. Mine love to burrow in the fine sand bed and only come out when they smell food.

starmanres
01/31/2006, 08:10 PM
I have had the same problem and dropped my tank temp to 78. My LFS has even suggested 76-77 to keep them alive.

He states it won't hurt anything else being that temp.

HTH

Robert

Jayra
02/01/2006, 04:08 AM
are the snails active or do they sit in the same spot not moving?

I had some problems with snails dying, and then found out that while my salinity was reading okay, it was actually too high (dodgy measuring thing). The snails have been fine ever since i lowered the salinity.