PDA

View Full Version : Home Depot Playsand

stillcity
01/31/2006, 08:17 PM
I tried the search function to try to see exactly what kind of sand to get form Home Depot that is safe for Reefs but all the links were old.

Does Home Depot still sell this stuff and what is it called?

quiksilver
01/31/2006, 08:18 PM
Its a play sand, lemme look for it.

Ti
01/31/2006, 08:50 PM
only SOME home depot's have it not al of them

SaltandPepper
01/31/2006, 09:27 PM
i used the play sand by accident, and it worked like a charm...just have to wash it...

hopper
01/31/2006, 09:43 PM
I saw a thread about a year ago on this. It wasn't white castle playsand was it?

Paintbug
02/01/2006, 09:24 AM
old castle, but they no longer use aragonite sand. the best thing to do is go to your local HD. look at their sand. in the landscape, and mortor sections(thats where some playsand is here). look at the grains, if they look sharp its probablly silicate and the bag should say contains silicates. some of them now carry a bright white sand with the PaverStone(something like that) brand. its reported to be aragonite sand. but as always my local HD has the silicate version. but dont worry :D i am using the silcate playsand my self. it works, and do some research. you will find that silicates wont leak into the water or any thing. it takes a lot of pressure, like 300ft of water, before they will break down. only thing is im starting to not like the color. i really want bright white sand.

SaltyNovice
02/01/2006, 11:02 AM
I searched high and low for the "sand castel" & "pavers" white non-silicate sand. It's not around my part of the country. And I wanted bright "white" also. So I had a friend suggest going to a "cement contractor" store and ask about white sand. They ordered what they called "white sugar sand". It is in 100lb bags. It is used for a whole lot of things. Some buildings use it in their "ash trays". It is a silicate based sand though - so be fore warned. I'm not worried about the silicate though. I've been told by too many people that have used it that it will work. So that's what I ordered and am putting in my new 120gal. By the way it was only $8.27/100lb bag. Looks real GOOD!! I'm sure there are guys on here who will go balistic on my choice, but that's the neat thing about all this - it's my choice and - there is more than one way to "skin a cat".

SaltyNovice :lol:

stillcity
02/01/2006, 11:28 AM
I liked the white oolitic sand they have at the LFS but it seems a little too fine grain for my tastes. I"m thinking of going with the home depot sand and filtering out the finer powder.

Anyone else have success with playsand?

stingers81
02/01/2006, 04:19 PM
you can pretty much use any play sand from HD....it doesnt have to be silica free....silica sand is totally reef safe

stillcity
02/01/2006, 07:36 PM
I ended up picking up 3 bags of pavers sand. It's fine grain and looks like a grey beach sand. Was looking for something a little more white but you can't be 3.50 a bag.

stingers81
02/02/2006, 02:50 PM
i dont know about pavers sand....never heard of anyone using it...i would double check with some experts here on RC, my concern would be that it might have some extra stuff in it that might not be good for the reef...
let me know how it goes though

stillcity
02/02/2006, 03:54 PM
Any experts want to chime in on my choice? I haven't used it yet but I was planning on it at some point.